Musical salon culture in the long nineteenth century / edited by Anja Bunzel and Natasha Loges.
- Other Title:
- Musical salon culture in the long 19th century
- Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK ; Rochester, NY : The Boydell Press, 2019
xviii, 284 pages : illustrations, music ; 24 cm
- Music -- Social aspects -- History -- 19th century.
Music in the home -- Social aspects -- History -- 19th century.
Music -- Social aspects.
- This collection explores the idea of music in the salon during the long nineteenth century, both as a socio-cultural phenomenon, and as a source of artistic innovation and exchange. Drawing on a wide range of scholarly approaches, this book uses the idea of the salon as a springboard to examine issues such as gender, religion, biography and performance; to explore the ways in which the salon was represented in different media; and to showcase the heterogeneity of the salon through a selection of case studies. It offers fresh considerations of familiar salons in large cultural centres, as well as insights into lesser-known salons in both Europe and the United States. Bringing together an international group of scholars, the collection underscores the enduring impact of the European musical salon
- Introduction / Anja Bunzel and Natasha Loges
Johanna Kinkel's Social Life in Berlin (1836-39): Reflections on Historiographical Sources / Anja Bunzel
Accidental Aesthetics in the Salon: Amateurism and the Romantic Fragment in the Lied Sketches of Bettina von Arnim / Jennifer Ronyak
Salon Culture in the Circle of Joseph Joachim, or, Composing Inwardness: C. J. Arnold's "Quartettabend bei Bettina von Arnim" Reconsidered / Katharina Uhde and R. Larry Todd
Reading, Singing, Becoming: The M�adchenlieder of Paul Heyse and Johannes Brahms / Natasha Loges
Fridays with Malla: Musical Repertoire in the Swedish Salon of Malla Silfverstolpe / Kirsten Santos Rutschman
Observing Musical Salon Culture in England c. 1800 through the Lens of the Caricature / Maren Bagge and Clemens Kreutzfeldt
The Salon Singer as Subject of Satire during the July Monarchy / Mary Anne Garnett
The Instruments of the Vienna Biedermeier Salon: Diversity in Design, Sound, and Technology / Beatrix Darmst�adter
Offenbach and the Representation of the Salon / P�eter Boz�o
Affordances of the Piano: A Cinematic Representation of the Victorian Salon / Harry White
'Der Mensch ist zur Geselligkeit geboren': Salon Culture, Night Thoughts, and a Schubert Song / Susan Youens
Traditions, Preferences and Musical Taste in the Staegemann-Olfers Salon in Nineteenth-Century Berlin / Petra Wilhelmy-Dollinger
Josephine Lang and the Salon in Southern Germany / Harald Krebs
Jessie Hillebrand and Musical Life in 1870s Florence / Michael Uhde
An Invitation to 309 Beacon Street: Clara Kathleen Rogers and her Boston Salon / Katie A. Callam
"Too Much Playing Four Hands!": Ernst von Dohn�anyi's European Salon in the United States of the 1950s / Veronika Kusz.
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- Bunzel, Anja, editor.
Loges, Natasha, editor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|