China 2020 : the next decade for the People's Republic of China / edited by Kerry Brown.
- Other Title:
- China two thousand twenty
China two thousand and twenty
- 1st edition
- Oxford, England ; Cambridge, England : Chandos Publishing, 2010.
- Chandos Asian studies series.
Chandos Asian Studies Series: Contemporary Issues and Trends
1 online resource (269 p.)
- Economic history.
China -- Forecasting.
China -- Politics and government -- 2002-
China -- Economic conditions -- 2000-
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- text file
- This book presents eight separate essays and provides the reader with a unique perspective and objective judgement of where China will stand by the end of the current decade. It is suitable reading for foreign policy practitioners, academics and anyone interested in one of the world's fastest-developing countries. The eight essays cover the following topics: China's internal politics; China's military; China's economy; China's international image and its international relations; China's legal development and China's western regional development plans. China 2020 assesses where these issues sta
- Cover; China 2020: the next decade for the people's republic of china; Copyright; Dedication; Contents; Foreword; Preface; Notes; Acknowledgements; List of abbreviations; About the authors; 1 China in 2020: the leadership and the party; The background; A learning-oriented marxist party; Intra-party democracy; The transition; The posts; Notes; 2 China 2020: international relations; The current parameters of china's foreign policy; A china that can say no but is still unhappy; The elephant in the room: the us will always be number one; The world beyond the us
The two big problems: taiwan and north koreaChina as an international player by 2020; International china in the coming decade - the two paths; A beijing model; The key factor: what happens within; Notes; 3 The chinese economy in the next decade; Forecasting china; The chinese state; Politics, policy and the state; China and the global economy; The financial sector; Inequality and consumption; Demography; Urbanisation; Conclusion; Notes; 4 China's military in 2020; Introduction: robust economy; Arms embargoes; Combat experience; Confidence and change; Pla: the armed wing of the party
The pla ground forcesThe people's liberation army air force (PLAAF); The people's liberation army navy (PLAN); The second artillery corps (SAC); The people's armed police (PAP); Cyber warfare; Strategic implications; Force projection; Defence in depth; Policy implications; Conclusion; Notes; 5 China's environment in 2020; Economy; Resource constraints; International climate talks; Energy and renewable power; Waste and pollution; Food; Biodiversity; Politics; 6 China's western regions 2020: their national and global implications; What are china's western regions?
Issues raised by the western regionsDevelopment and develop the west; Economic growth and human development in the western regions; Western regions in global perspective; Chongqing and chengdu - growth pole(s) for the western regions?; Prospects to 2020 and policy implications; Notes; 7 China's rule of law; Chinese and foreigners; Asian values and the law; Development of law in china in modern history; The constitution; Elements of the legal system in china; The judiciary; The legislative system; Law versus the state in china; Human and civil rights; New developments influencing law in china
ConclusionPolicy approaches; Notes; 8 China's 'soft power' development by 2020; 'Soft power' in chinese discourse; China's tools of soft power; Beijing's objectives; The domestic priority; Challenges ahead; Weaknesses in china's soft power currency; China's soft power in 2020; Conclusion; Notes; Index
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed December 27, 2013).
- Brown, Kerry.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|