New programmer's survival manual : navigate your workplace, cube farm, or startup / Josh Carter.
- 1st edition
- Dallas, Texas ; Raleigh, North Carolina : The Pragmatic Bookself, 2011.
- The pragmatic programmers
1 online resource (240 pages) : illustrations (some color)
- Computer programming -- Vocational guidance.
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- text file
- It's your first day on the new job. You've got the programming chops, you're up on the latest tech, you're sitting at your workstation... now what? New Programmer's Survival Manual gives your career the jolt it needs to get going: essential industry skills to help you apply your raw programming talent and make a name for yourself. It's a no-holds-barred look at what really goes on in the office--and how to not only survive, but thrive in your first job and beyond. Programming at industry level requires new skills - you'll build programs that dwarf anything you've done on your own. This book introduces you to practices for working on large-scale, long-lived programs at a professional level of quality. You'll find out how to work efficiently with your current tools, and discover essential new tools. But the tools are only part of the story; you've got to get street-smart too. Succeeding in the corporate working environment requires its own savvy. You'll learn how to navigate the office, work with your teammates, and how to deal with other people outside of your department. You'll understand where you fit into the big picture and how you contribute to the company's success. You'll also get a candid look at the tougher aspects of the job: stress, conflict, and office politics. Finally, programming is a job you can do for the long haul. This book helps you look ahead to the years to come, and your future opportunities--either as a programmer or in another role you grow into. There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of shipping a product and knowing, "I built that." Whether you work on embedded systems or web-based applications, in trendy technologies or legacy systems, this book helps you get from raw skill to an accomplished professional.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Pfalzer, Susannah Davidson, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|