Stories of piety and prayer : deliverance follows adversity / al-Muḥassin ibn 'Alī al-Tanūkhī ; edited and translated by Julia Bray ; volume editor Shawkat M. Toorawa.
- Standardized Title:
- Faraj baʻda al-shiddah. English
- New York : New York University Press, 
- Library of Arabic literature.
Library of Arabic literature
xxxi, 352 pages ; 24 cm.
- Islamic ethics -- Early works to 1800.
- Early works.
- In English and Arabic; English translated from original Arabic.
- Uplifting tales from one of the most influential Arabic books of the Middle Ages0One of the most popular and influential Arabic books of the Middle Ages, 'Deliverance Follows Adversity' is an anthology of stories and anecdotes designed to console and encourage the afflicted. Regarded as a pattern-book of Arabic storytelling, this collection shows how God's providence works through His creatures to rescue them from tribulations ranging from religious persecution and medical emergencies to political skullduggery and romantic woes. 0A resident of Basra and Baghdad, al-Tanukhi (327-84/939-94) draws from earlier Arabic classics as well as from oral stories relayed by the author's tenth-century Iraqi contemporaries, who comprised a wide circle of writers, intellectuals, judges, government officials, and family members. This edition and translation includes the first three chapters of the work, which deal with Qur'anic stories and prayers that bring about deliverance, as well as general instances of the workings of providence. The volume incorporates material from manuscripts not used in the standard Arabic edition, and is the first translation into English. The complete translation, spanning four volumes, will be the first integral translation into any European language.
- Author's introduction
1. In the Qur'an, God exalted reveals how deliverance follows suffering and ordeals
2. What tradition relates of deliverance following desolation: and how one may be rescued from sore adversity and tribulation
3. Presages bringing tidings of delivery to those saved from trials by speech, prayer, or entreaty
Index of Qur'anic quotations
Index of prophetic Hadith
Index of poems
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Bray, Julia, translator.
Toorawa, Shawkat M., editor.
- Tanūkhī, al-Muḥassin ibn ʻAlī, 940?-994. Faraj baʻda al-shiddah.
- Other format:
- Online version: Tanūkhī, al-Muḥassin ibn ʻAlī, 940?-994, author. Stories of piety and prayer
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|