Cultural landscape heritage in Sub-Saharan Africa / John Beardsley, editor.
- Washington, D.C. : Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection,  , ℗♭2016
- Conference Name:
- Dumbarton Oaks Colloquium on the History of Landscape Architecture (37th : 2013 : Washington, D.C.)
- Dumbarton Oaks Colloquium on the History of Landscape Architecture ; XXXVII
vi, 478 pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color) ; 28 cm.
- Cultural landscapes -- Africa, Sub-Saharan -- Congresses.
Landscape architecture -- Africa, Sub-Saharan -- Congresses.
- Conference papers and proceedings.
Konferenzschrift -- 2013 -- Washington, DC.
- "The essays present a range of landscapes: pathways and cairns used by nomadic peoples to navigate through and mark significant places; anthropogenic or managed forests consecrated to ritual purposes of various kinds; tombs or palaces with significant landscape orientations and components; even monumental ceremonial and urban spaces, as at Great Zimbabwe or Djenne. They explore what we know of precolonial and later indigenous designed landscapes, how these landscapes were understood in the colonial era, and how they are being recuperated today for nation building, identity formation, and cultural affirmation. Contributors engage with the most critical issues in preservation today, from the conflicts between cultural heritage and biodiversity protection to the competition between local and international heritage agendas."--Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: Cultural landscape heritage in Sub-Saharan Africa / John Beardsley
Design on the world : blackness and the exclusion of Sub-Saharan Africa from the "global" history of garden and landscape design / Grey Gundaker
Monument and environment. Cultural landscapes in Mali : historical antecedents and future trajectories / Charlotte Joy ; Great Zimbabwe as power-scape : how the past locates itself in contemporary Southern Africa / Innocent Pikirayi ; Landscape and architecture in the central highlands of Madagascar / Randall Bird ; Stories of stone : the transformation and reinvention of Swahili coast pillar tombs / Sandy Prita Meier ; Gardener kings : the formality of politics and palace forests among the Gbe kingdoms of West Africa / Neil L. Norman
Pathway and grove. Places and paths of memory : archaeologies of East African pastoralist landscapes / Paul J. Lane ; Cultural capital and structural power in African landscapes : the social dynamics of sacred groves / Michael Sheridan ; Good bush, bad bush : representing our natures in historical southern Nigerian landscapes / Ikem Stanley Okoye ; A multiplex landscape : explorations of place and practice in Osun Grove, Nigeria / Akinwumi Ogundiran
Rethinking landscape. Rain, power, sovereignty, and the materiality of signs in southern Zimbabwe / Joost Fontein ; "Nature's regions" : the mobilization of cultural landscapes for conservation / Maano Ramutsindela ; From Table Mountain to Hoerikwaggo : re-imagining Africa's "first landscape" / Jeremy Foster.
- "Volume based on papers presented at the symposium "Cultural Landscape Heritage in Sub- Saharan Africa," held at the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, Washington, D.C., on May 10-11, 2013"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 435-441) and index.
- Dumbarton Oaks, host institution.
Beardsley, John, editor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|