Data Professionals at Work [electronic resource] / by Malathi Mahadevan.
- 1st ed. 2018.
- Berkeley, CA : Apress : Imprint: Apress, 2018.
1 online resource (356 pages)
- Database management.
- Local subjects:
- Database Management. (search)
Big Data. (search)
Job Careers in Science and Engineering. (search)
- System Details:
- text file
- Enjoy reading interviews with more than two dozen data professionals to see a picture of what it’s like to work in the industry managing and analyzing data, helping you to know what it takes to move from your current expertise into one of the fastest growing areas of technology today. Data is the hottest word of the century, and data professionals are in high demand. You may already be a data professional such as a database administrator or business intelligence analyst. Or you may be one of the many people who want to work as a data professional, and are curious how to get there. Either way, this collection helps you understand how data professionals work, what makes them successful, and what they do to keep up. You’ll find interviews in this book with database administrators, database programmers, data architects, business intelligence professionals, and analytics professionals. Interviewees work across industry sectors ranging from healthcare and banking to finance and transportation and beyond. Each chapter illuminates a successful professional at the top of their game, who shares what helped them get to the top, and what skills and attitudes combine to make them successful in their respective fields. Malathi Mahadevan is a senior database consultant and has over 20 years of experience working with data, primarily in Microsoft SQL Server and related technologies. She has worked in many industries, such as healthcare, finance, and consulting, to name a few. She also has been volunteering with the SQL Server community by arranging free training and seminars for the past 15 years, and is a recipient of the PASSion award for being an outstanding volunteer from the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS). She blogs frequently at the Curious About Data site, and is active on Twitter as @sqlmal. Malathi is a featured blogger on the SQL Server Central site, and has also written several articles for the site.
- Part I: Database Administrators
Chapter 1: Mindy Curnutt: CEO, Mindy Curnutt and Associates Consulting
Chapter 2: Julie Smith: Business Intelligence Consultant, Innovative Architects Inc.
Chapter 3: Kenneth Fisher: Senior Database Administrator, Aegon
Chapter 4: Andy Leonard: Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data and Analytics
Chapter 5: Jes Borland: Premier Field Engineer, Microsoft Corporation
Chapter 6: Kevin Feasel: Engineering Manager, ChannelAdvisor Corp.
Part II: Developers
Chapter 7: Ginger Grant: Principal Consultant, Desert Isle Group
Chapter 8: Vicky Harp: Principal Program Manager Lead, Microsoft Corporation
Chapter 9: Kendra Little: Trainer, SQL Workbooks, LLC
Chapter 10: Jason Brimhall: Principal Consultant, Database Masters
Part III: Data Architects
Chapter 11: Tim Costello: Data Architect, Brindle Pup Consulting
Chapter 12: Andy Mallon: Database Architect
Chapter 13: Steph Locke: Data Science Consultant, Locke Data
Part IV: Business Intelligence and Analytics Architects
Chapter 14: Jonathan Stewart: Business Intelligence Consultant, SQLLocks LLC
Chapter 15: Joseph Sack: Principal Program Manager, Microsoft Corporation
Chapter 16: John Q. Martin: Product Manager, SentryOne
Chapter 17: John Morehouse: Consultant, Denny Cherry & Associates Consulting
Part V: Analytics
Chapter 18: Kathi Kellenberger: Editor, Simple Talk, Redgate Software
Chapter 19: Argenis Fernandez: Principal Data Storage Architect, Pure Storage
Chapter 20: Kirsten Benzel: Senior Database Engineer, SurveyMonkey
Part VI: Consultants
Chapter 21: Tracy Boggiano: Database Superhero, Broadvine
Chapter 22: Dave Walden, Cloud Architect
Chapter 23: Matt Gordon: Data Platform Solution Architect, DMI
Chapter 24: Jimmy May: Storage Architect
Chapter 25: Drew Furgiuele: Senior Database Administrator, IGS
Chapter 26: Marlon Ribunal: SQL System Support Engineer, JustEnough Software
Chapter 27: Joseph Fleming: Senior Consultant, StraightPath Solutions.
- Includes index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-1-4842-3967-4 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|