The decline of western civilization collection / films by Penelope Spheeris.
- Los Angeles, CA : Shout Factory LLC : Spheeris Films Inc.,  , ©2015
4 videodiscs (279 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 book (36 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 19 cm)
4 3/4 in. stamping
- Rock music -- 1981-1990.
Rock music -- 1991-2000.
Punk rock music.
Heavy metal (Music)
Glam metal (Music)
Rock musicians -- Interviews.
Glam metal (Music)
Heavy metal (Music)
Punk rock music.
- Feature films -- United States.
Feature films -- United States.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Nonfiction television programs.
Documentary television programs.
- Discs 1-3: In English ; with optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired (SDH).
- System Details:
- Disc 1: DVD; NTSC; region 1; Dolby digital mono and 5.1.
Disc 2: DVD; NTSC; region 1; Dolby digital stereo and 5.1.
Disc 3: DVD; NTSC; region 1; Dolby digital stereo and 5.1.
digital optical stereo mono surround Dolby Digital 5.1
video file DVD video region 1
- Penelope Spheeris' Decline of Western Civilization was perceived as shocking and outrageous at the time of its original release in 1981. Parts II and III were no less extraordinary and unprecedented. Today, museums and educational institutions around the world present them as historically significant works of art. Featuring some of the most influential and innovative musicians and groups-- Germs, Black Flag, X, Fear, Circle Jerks, Alice Cooper, Lemmy, Poison and members of Aerosmith and KISS-- these riveting, unflinching, hard-core films adeptly captured the spirit of a major cultural phenomenon. Part I documents punk rock musicians' deliberate reaction to the mass commercialism of music. Part II takes a fast-paced look at the Heavy Metal scene of the late 80's. Part III profiles hard-core gutterpunks living homeless in Los Angeles and their music.
- disc 1. The decline of western civilization / produced and directed by Penelope Spheeris; edited by Charlie Mullin, Peter Wiehl (1981) (100 min.)
disc 2. The decline of western civilization : part II, the metal years / New Line Cinema presents a Penelope Spheeris film ; an I.R.S. World Media productoin ; produced by Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris ; directed by Penelope Spheeris (1988) (93 min.)
disc 3. The decline of western civilization : part III / Spheeris Films, Inc. presents ; producer, Guy Louthan, Scott Wilder ; directed by Penelope Spheeris (1998) (86 min.)
disc 4. Bonus disc.
Disc 1. Bonus features: Never-before-seen footage: X signs contract, Tour of the Masque; never-before-seen performances: Fear, Germs, The Gears; additional extras: Henry Rollins interviews Spheeris, announcements, theatrical trailer; extended interviews: Black Flag, Darby's Apartment, X, Brendan Mullen, Nicole (Germs manager), Light Bulb Kids.
Disc 2. Bonus features: Optional audio commentary by Penelope Spheeris & Nadir D'Priest; extended interviews with: Aerosmith; Alice Cooper, Chris Holmes; Gene Simmons; Lemmy; Ozzy Ozbourne; Paul Stanley; theatrical trailer.
Disc 3. Bonus features: extended interviews with Flea, Keith Morris, Leonard Phillips (The Dickies), Rick Wilder (The Mau-Maus), Light Bulb Kids; additional extras: Behind the scenes, Gutterpunks, LA County Museum of Art panel: Decline 1 and III; premiere/movie introduction; Sundance interview with Spheeris; theatrical trailer.
Disc 4 (Bonus disc): Additional Decline II extended interviews: London, Megadeath, Odin, Poison, Gazzarri, Mega Crowd 87; Decline I news report; Decline II cruising the Strip; Decline II LA County Museum art panel; Decline III panel; Tawn Mastrey interviews Penelope Spheeris; Mark Toscano interviews Penelope Spheeris; Nadir and Lizzie; theatrical trailer Suburbia; extras' credits.
- Disc 1: Featuring, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Catholic Discipline, Fear, Alice Bag Band, Germs, X.
Disc 2: Featuring, Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osbourne, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Lemmy, Poison, Megadeth, London, Odin, Faster Pussycat, Lizzy Borden, Seduce.
Disc 3: Featuring, Final Conflict, Naked Aggression, Litmus Green, The Resistance.
- Disc 1: editing, Charlie Mullin, Peter Wiehl ; cinematography, Steve Conant.
Disc 2: Director of photography, Jeff Zimmerman ; editor, Earl Ghaffari.
Disc 3: Cinematography, Jamie Thompson ; editor, Ann Trulove ; score, Phil Suchomel.
- Title from box set container.
Filmed Los Angeles, California 1979 December-1980 May (Part I), 1987 August-1988 February (Part II), and 1996 July-1997 August (Part III).
Originally released as motion pictures in 1981, 1988, 1998.
Disc 1: full screen (1.33:1).
Disc 2: anamorphic wide screen (1.78:1).
Disc 3: anamorphic wide screen (1.78:1).
Accompanying booklet comprises an essay by Domenic Priore.
Special features include: New 2k scan of Decline I, II, and III, Never-before-seen footage, interviews and performances, Vintage interviews with director Penelpe Spheeris, Theatrical trailers, 40-page book featuring rare stills, Audio commentary by Penelope Spheeris, Additional audio commentary by Dave Grohl.
- Spheeris, Penelope, film producer, film director.
Tyler, Steven, 1948- performer.
Perry, Joe, 1950- performer.
Cooper, Alice, 1948- performer.
Simmons, Gene, 1949- performer.
Stanley, Paul, 1952- performer.
Osbourne, Ozzy, 1948- performer.
Priore, Domenic, writer of added commentary.
Dayton, Jonathan, film producer.
Faris, Valerie, film producer.
Louthan, Guy J., film producer.
Wilder, Scott, film producer.
Conant, Steve, director of photography.
Mullin, Charlie, editor of moving image work.
Wiehl, Peter, editor of moving image work.
Ghaffari, Earl, 1961- editor of moving image work.
Thompson, Jamie, 1962- director of photography.
Trulove, Ann, editor of moving image work.
Black Flag (Musical group), performer.
Circle Jerks (Musical group), performer.
Catholic Discipline (Musical group), performer.
Fear (Musical group), performer.
Alice Bag Band, performer.
Germs (Musical group), performer.
X (Musical group), performer.
Poison (Musical group), performer.
Megadeth (Musical group), performer.
London (Musical group), performer.
Odin (Musical group), performer.
Faster Pussycat (Musical group), performer.
Lizzy Borden (Musical group), performer.
Seduce (Musical group), performer.
Final Conflict (Musical group), performer.
Naked Aggression (Musical group), performer.
Litmus Green (Musical group), performer.
Resistance (Musical group), performer.
Gears (Musical group), performer.
New Line Cinema Corporation, presenter, production company.
I.R.S. World Media, production company.
Spheeris Films, inc., production company, publisher.
Shout! Factory (Firm), publisher.
- Container of: Decline of western civilization (Motion picture)
Container of: Decline of western civilization. Part II, The metal years (Motion picture)
Container of: Decline of western civilization part III.
- Publisher Number:
SF 15786 Shout Factory (set)
DVD 15787 Shout Factory (disc 1)
DVD 15788 Shout Factory (disc 2)
DVD 15789 Shout Factory (disc 3)
DVD 15931 Shout Factory (disc 4)
SF 15786-B1 Shout Factory (booklet)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|