Stealing with the eyes : imaginings and incantations in Indonesia / Will Buckingham.
- London : Haus Publishing, 2018. , ℗♭2018
230 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Tanimbar (Indonesian people)
Tanimbar Islands (Indonesia)
Tanimbar Islands (Indonesia) -- Social life and customs.
Indonesia -- Social life and customs.
Tanimbar (Indonesian people)
Manners and customs.
Indonesia -- Tanimbar Islands.
- Will Buckingham travelled to Tanimbar Islands (Indonesia) as a trainee anthropologist to meet three remarkable sculptors: the crippled Matias Fatruan, the buffalo hunter Abraham Amelwatin, and Damianus Masele, who was skilled in black magic, but who abstained out of Christian principle. Part memoir, part travel-writing, Stealing with the Eyes is the story of these men, and also of how stumbling into a world of witchcraft, sickness and fever lead him to question the validity of his anthropological studies, and eventually to abandon them for good. Through his encounters with these remarkable craftsmen and weaving together Tanimbarese history, myth and philosophy of this part of the world from ancient times we are shown the forces at play in all of our lives: the struggle between the powerful and the powerless, the tension between the past and the future, and how to make sense of a world that is in constant flux.
- Part I. Barang Aneh
Strange things: 1. An exorcism of sorts
Part II. Jaman Purba
The ancient age: 4. Beginnings
5. Anthropologists and thieves
6. Three times
Part III. Jaman Pertengahan
The age of ancestors: 8. Whistlin' past the graveyard
10. Buffalo killer
12. Mandi Adat
Part IV. Jaman Moderen
The modern age: 13. The old songs
14. Selling history
15. Hearts of darkness
16. Mirror images
Part V. Mandi Adat
Ritual law bathing: 17. Arrival and departure
18. A questionable enterprise
19. Unfinished business.
- Other format:
- Electronic version: 9781909961432
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|