Leopold von Ranke : a biography / Andreas D. Boldt.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Routledge approaches to history
Routledge approaches to history ; 28
vi, 379 pages ; 24 cm.
- Ranke, Leopold von, 1795-1886.
Ranke, Leopold von, 1795-1886 -- Influence.
Historians -- Germany -- Biography.
Historiography -- Germany -- History -- 19th century.
History -- Philosophy -- History -- 19th century.
History -- Philosophy.
Influence (Literary, artistic, etc.).
- "Leopold von Ranke endeavoured to understand political order within its own historical context. To understand the nature of historical phenomena, such as an institution of an idea, one had to consider its historical development and the changes it underwent over a period of time. Historical epochs, Ranke argued, should not be judged according to predetermined contemporary values or ideas. Rather, they had to be understood on their own terms by empirically establishing history 'as things really were.' Ranke's influence on history as a modern discipline is thus evident and this is the first volume in English to chart his life and works for a hundred years"-- Provided by publisher.
- Ranke's childhood and educational years (1795-1818)
First employment in Frankfurt/Oder and his early years in Berlin (1818-1827)
Ranke's first research trip (1827-31)
Academic establishment and fame during the Vormärz (1831-43)
1843 : Ranke's wedding and the first years of his marriage (1843-48)
European revolutions and Ranke's role as political advisor (1848-52)
Ranke's daily life, Clarissa's illness and her "Salon Ranke" (1852-59)
Ranke and his largest work on a nation : English history (1859-65)
Ennoblement, rise of titles, but waning of fame and the death of Clarissa (1865-71)
Retirement, old age and the last masterpiece (1871-86)
Epilogue: The perception of Ranke since 1886.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Boldt, Andreas Dieter, author. Leopold von Ranke
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|