Education in China : philosophy, politics and culture / Janette Ryan.
- Cambridge, UK ; Medford, MA : Polity, 2019.
- China today series (Cambridge, England)
ix, 242 pages ; 22 cm.
- Education -- China -- Philosophy.
Education and state -- China.
Education -- Aims and objectives -- China.
Educational change -- China.
Education and globalization -- China.
EDUCATION / General.
Education -- Aims and objectives.
Education and globalization.
Education and state.
Education -- Philosophy.
- "Throughout its history, education in China has played a pivotal role in the nation's governance, civic society, and the social and cultural lives of its citizens. Today we see a nation grappling with how to modernize and internationalize its education system while still retaining China's intellectual traditions and values in the face of growing educational inequalities. This book analyses the historical and contemporary place of education in China and how the past has influenced today's trends. Recent fundamental educational reforms have been driven by the need for continuing economic development and a highly skilled workforce, at the same time fulfilling the aspirations of its citizens and their desire for the prestige education brings. Moreover, ideological education plays a key role in enlisting citizens to the national cause. Although China has ambitious plans for its education system, several problems remain, including an examination-obsessed system and highly competitive culture which skew the social fabric, dominating family life and childhoods. This accessible analysis will be a welcome resource for students of comparative education as well as those across the social sciences interested in Chinese society"-- Provided by publisher.
"This book analyses the historical and contemporary place of education in China's political, social and cultural life, and how the past has influenced trends in education in China today. Ryan shows a nation grappling with how to modernize and internationalize its education system while still retaining China's intellectual traditions and values"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Machine generated contents note: Introduction Chapter 1: History of education in China from Confucius to the present Chapter 2: Formal and informal education policies, structures, governance and contexts Chapter 3: Education reform and internationalisation Chapter 4: Inequalities and disparities Chapter 5: Tradition and innovation Chapter 6: China's changing relationships with the world and future challenges.
- Other format:
- Online version: Ryan, Janette, 1956- author. Education in China
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|