Clients and constituents : political responsiveness in patronage democracies / Jennifer Bussell.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
xvi, 369 pages ; 24 cm
- Patronage, Political -- India.
Patron and client -- India.
Democracy -- India.
India -- Politics and government.
Patron and client.
Politics and government.
- "Existing work suggests that legislators in countries like India should spend little time engaging with individual citizens and, if they do, should focus their attention on co-partisans. Yet, there is anecdotal evidence that these politicians actually spend substantial time assisting individual citizens with access to basic state services. In this book, I show that helping individual voters is a key part of these representatives' activities and that, in contrast with existing expectations, they do not generally discriminate against their non-copartisans in providing assistance. Yet, this constituency service differs from that observed in Western democracies, as it arises from the partisan nature of distribution at the local level. Thus, Indian politicians are more accountable to citizens than we previously expected, but this accountability is linked to, and constrained by, the character of patronage-based politics"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: representation, distribution, and constituency service
Political responsiveness in a patronage democracy
The provision of constituency service
Clients or constituents? A theory of assistance in patronage democracies
Access to services in a patronage democracy: the case of india
Partisan targeting and local distributive politics
Local blocking and appeals for assistance
Partisanship, the personal vote, and constituency service
Which politicians respond?
When is responsiveness partisan bias?
Constituency service in comparative perspective
Constrained accountability in patronage democracies.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Bussell, Jennifer, 1975- author. Clients and constituents
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|