Iranian masculinities : gender and sexuality in late Qajar and early Pahlavi Iran / Sivan Balslev.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2019.
xii, 318 pages : billustrations ; 24 cm
- Masculinity -- Iran -- History.
Men -- Iran -- Social conditions.
Sex role -- Iran -- History.
Iran -- Social conditions.
Iran -- Civilization -- Western influences.
Civilization -- Western influences.
Men -- Social conditions.
- The transition from Qajar rule in Iran (c.1789-1925) to that of rule by the Pahlavi dynasty (1925-1979) set in motion a number of shifts in the political, social, and cultural realms. Focusing on masculinity in Iran, this book interweaves ideas and perceptions, laws, political movements, and men's practices to spotlight the role men as gendered subjects played in Iranian history. It shows how men under the reign of Reza Shah dressed, acted, spoke, and thought differently from their late Qajar period counterparts. Furthermore, it highlights how the notion of being a "proper Iranian man" changed over these decades. Demonstrating how an emerging elite of western-educated men constructed and promoted a new model of masculinity as part of their struggle for political, social, and cultural hegemony, Balslev shows how this new model reflects wider developments in Iranian society at the time including the rise of Iranian nationalism and the country's modernisation process.
- Introduction : changing masculinities in a changing Iran
Ideals and practices of masculinity in Qajar society : Javanmard, Luti and Pahlavan
Western knowledge and education and the emergence of a new Iranian masculinity in the late nineteenth-century
Gendering the nation : patriotic men and endangered women in the constitutional revolution discourse
Farangimaabs and fokolis : masculinities and westernization from the constitutional revolution to Reza Shah
Marriage reform in interwar Iran : regulating male sexuality to maintain male hegemony
Male dress reforms under Reza Shah
"Strong spirits, strong arms, strong hearts" : sport, scouting and soldiering under Reza Shah.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|