Campaigns and voters in developing democracies : Argentina in comparative perspective / edited by Noam Lupu, Virginia Oliveros, Luis Schiumerini.
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 2019.
- Weiser center for emerging democracies
Weiser center for emerging democracies
xiv, 289 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Voting research -- Argentina.
Political participation -- Argentina.
Party affiliation -- Argentina.
Political campaigns -- Argentina.
Voting research -- Developing countries.
Political participation -- Developing countries.
Party affiliation -- Developing countries.
Political campaigns -- Developing countries.
- "Voting behavior is informed by the experience of advanced democracies, yet the electoral context in developing democracies is significantly different. Civil society is often weak, poverty and inequality high, political parties ephemeral and attachments to them weak, corruption rampant, and clientelism widespread. Voting decisions in developing democracies follow similar logics to those in advanced democracies in that voters base their choices on group affiliation, issue positions, valence considerations, and campaign persuasion. Yet developing democracies differ in the weight citizens assign to these considerations. Where few social identity groups are politically salient and partisan attachments are sparse, voters may place more weight on issue voting. Where issues are largely absent from political discourse, valence considerations and campaign effects play a larger role. Campaigns and Voters in Developing Democracies develops a theoretical framework to specify why voter behavior differs across contexts"-- Provided by publisher.
- Toward a theory of campaigns and voters in developing democracies / Noam Lupu, Virginia Oliveros, and Luis Schiumerini
Economic shocks and partisan realignment in Argentina / Mar¡a Victoria Murillo and Steven Levitsky
Down to the wire : Argentina's 2015 campaign / Ernesto Calvo
Why does wealth affect vote choice? / Noam Lupu
Mass partisanship in three Latin American democracies / Andy Baker and Dalton Dorr
Explaining support for the incumbent in presidential elections / Carlos Gervasoni and Maria Laura Tagina
Macri's mandate : structural reform or better performance? / Luis Schiumerini
Dealigning campaign effects in Argentina in comparative perspective / Kenneth F. Greene
Strategic voting in a two-round, multi-candidate election / Rebecca Weitz-Shapiro and Matthew S. Winters
Perceptions of ballot integrity and clientelism / Virginia Oliveros
Conclusion : the significance of unmoored voters / Elizabeth J. Zechmeister.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 255-282) and index.
- Lupu, Noam, editor.
Oliveros, Virginia, 1976- editor.
Schiumerini, Luis, 1982- editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Campaigns and voters in developing democracies
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|