Identities in South Asia : conflicts and assertions / edited by Vivek Sachdeva, Queeny Pradhan and Anu Venugopalan.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, Ny : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019. , ©2019
xiii, 204 pages ; 24 cm
- Group identity -- South Asia.
Ethnicity -- South Asia.
Human geography -- South Asia.
South Asia -- Social conditions.
- "This book examines how identities are formed and expressed in political, social and cultural contexts across South Asia. It is a comprehensive intervention on how, why and what identities have come to be, and takes a closer look at the complexities of their interactions. Drawing on an interdisciplinary approach, combining methodologies from history, literary studies, politics, and sociology, this book: - Explores the multiple ways in which personal and collective identities manifest and engage, are challenged and resisted across time and space.; - Highlights how the shared history of colonialism and partition, communal violence, bloodshed and pogrom are instrumental in understanding present-day developments in identity politics.; - Sheds light on a number of current themes such as borders and nations, race and ethnicity, identity politics and fundamentalism, language and regionalism, memory and community, and resistance and assertion. A key volume in South Asian Studies, this book will be of great interest to scholars and researchers of modern South Asian history, politics, sociology, literary studies and social exclusion"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction / Vivek Sachdeva, Queeny Pradhan, Anu Venugopalan
Identity assertions and the context of conflicts in South Asia / T.K. Oommen
Constitution and conflict : mono-ethnic federalism in a poly-ethnic Nepal / Mahendra Lawoti
Literature as cosmopolitics : beyond nations, borders and identities / Simi Malhotra
Ideology as identity : progressivism of Punjabi poetry of 1970s and after / Akshyaya Kumar
Flying high or lying low? The moral economy of young women in higher education in Punjab, India / Navtej K. Purewal and Manpreet K. Gill
Dalit assertion and different shades of movements defining Dalits : from accorded nomenclature to asserted one / Vivek Kumar
The question of loyalty : minorities and South Asian nationalisms / Tanweer Fazal
Adivasi struggles in Chhattisgarh : "jal, jungle, zameen" / Sudha Bharadwaj
Was Bhagat Singh an internationalist? Resistance and identity in global age / Aparna Vaidik
The languages of the Indian English writer / Aruni Kashyap.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Sachdeva, Vivek, editor.
Pradhan, Queeny, editor.
Venugopalan, Anu, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Identities in South Asia
9780429627798 (ePub ebook)
9780429629433 (PDF ebook)
9780429626159 (Mobipocket ebook)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|