Música de Chiloé : folklore, syncretism, and cultural development in a Chilean aquapelago / Waldo Garrido, Dan Bendrups, and Philip Hayward.
- Lanham : Lexington Books, 
xix, 123 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Music -- Social aspects -- Chile -- Chiloé.
Music and tourism -- Chile -- Chiloé.
Popular music -- Chile -- Chilo -- History and criticism.
Manners and customs.
Music and tourism.
Music -- Social aspects.
Popular music -- Chile -- Chiloé -- History and criticism.
Chiloé (Chile) -- Social life and customs.
Chile -- Chiloé.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- English with some Spanish song lyics and translations.
- The islands of Chiloe, in southern Chile, have developed a distinct culture over several centuries, blending indigenous traditions and Spanish settler heritage to create a vibrant pattern of folklore, music, dance, and related creative practices. This cultural heritage has become an important aspect of the islands' identity and is key to their successful marketing as a tourist destination. However, these elements exist in tension with new developments, most particularly the introduction of salmon aquaculture, which has disrupted traditional livelihood patterns and polluted the region's marine environment. This volume analyzes the development of the islands' distinct culture with a particular focus on music and dance. Key topics include the relation of tradition and modernity, the impact of tourism on cultural practice, and the relationship between social activism and music culture. The authors complement this focus with a discussion of their own creative engagements with the region through the production of the music album Viaje a Chiloe (2018) and through the work of the audiovisual ensemble The Moviolas (in 2015-2018).
- History and Culture
Folklore, Tourism, and Music
Contemporary Music, Cultural Identity, and Social Justice
Creative Engagements with Chilote Culture: Viaje a Chiloé and The Moviolas.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Bendrups, Dan, author.
Hayward, Philip, author.
- Other format:
- Online version: Garrido, Waldo, 1962- Música de Chiloé.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|