Burroughs / Janus Films ; directed by Howard Brookner ; producers, Howard Brookner, Alan Yentob ; for Nova Convention, producers, James Grauerholz, John Giorno, Joe LoGiudice ; CitiFilmWorks ; Pinball London, Ltd.
- Other Title:
- Title on container: Burroughs : the movie
- Two-DVD special edition.
- [Irvington, New York] : The Criterion Collection,  , ©2015
- Criterion collection; 789.
The Criterion collection ; 789
2 videodiscs (90 min.) : sound, color with black and white sequences ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 fold-out insert
DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Burroughs, William S., 1914-1997.
Burroughs, William S., 1914-1997.
Authors, American -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Feature films -- United States.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Feature films -- United States.
- In English; with optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired (SDH).
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, region 1, 1.33:1 aspect ratio; monoaural; Dolby Digital.
digital optical mono Dolby Digital
full screen (1.33:1)
video file DVD video region 1
- Made up of intimate, revelatory footage of the singular author and poet filmed over the course of five years, Howard Brookner's 1983 documentary about William S. Burroughs (Naked Lunch) was for decades mainly the stuff of legend; that changed when Aaron Brookner, the late director's nephew, discovered a print of it in 2011 and spearheaded a restoration. Includes on-screen appearances by Allen Ginsberg, Herbert Huncke, Terry Southern, and Lucien Carr.
- Featuring: William S. Burroughs, Francis Bacon, Mortimer Burroughs, William S. Burroughs Jr., Lucien Carr, Jackie Curtis, Allen Ginsberg, John Giorno, James Grauerholz, Brion Gysin, Herbert Huncke, Lauren Hutton, Stewart Meyer, Patti Smith, Terry Southern.
- Film editors, Scott Vickrey, Ben Morris ; camera, Tom DiCillo, Howard Brookner, James Lebovitz, Nicolas A. Struthers, Richard L. Camp, Mike Southon, Cathy Dorsey, Larry Shiu.
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 1983.
1.33:1 aspect ratio.
Accompanying folded insert comprises an essay by Luc Sante (Burroughs that proud American) and collage artwork by Alison Mosshart.
Special features: Disc 1: Commentary (new audio commentary by filmmaker Jim Jarmusch, who was a sound recordist on the film); Howard and Uncle Bill (new interview with Brookner's nephew, filmmaker Aaron Brookner, who oversaw the film's restoration (16 min.). Disc 2: Howard Brookner (audio interview with director Howard Brookner (1985) (24 min.), conducted by Burroughs biographer Ted Morgan); Outtakes; New York Film Festival, 2014 (footage from the premiere of the film's restoration, featuring Q&A with Jim Jarmusch, Aaron Brookner, filmmaker Tom DiCillo, and William S. Burrough's friend and fellow writer James Grauerholz (27 min.); Robert E. Fulton III edit (experimental edit of the film by inventor and photographer Robert E. Fulton III (1981) (23 min.). Insert includes an essay by critic Luc Sante and collage artwork by artist Alison Mosshart.
- Brookner, Howard, film director, film producer, director of photography.
Yentob, Alan, film producer.
Grauerholz, James, film producer, on-screen participant.
Giorno, John, film producer, on-screen participant.
LoGiudice, Joe, film producer.
Burroughs, William S., 1914-1997, on-screen participant.
Bacon, Francis, 1909-1992, on-screen participant.
Burroughs, William S., 1947-1981, on-screen participant.
Carr, Lucien, 1925-2005, on-screen participant.
Curtis, Jackie, 1947-1985, on-screen participant.
Ginsberg, Allen, 1926-1997, on-screen participant.
Huncke, Herbert, on-screen participant.
Hutton, Lauren, on-screen participant.
Meyer, Stewart, on-screen participant.
Smith, Patti, on-screen participant.
Southern, Terry, on-screen participant.
Vickrey, Scott, editor of moving image work.
DiCillo, Tom, director of photography.
Southon, Mike, director of photography.
Jarmusch, Jim, 1953- commentator.
Morgan, Ted, 1932- interviewer (expression)
Fulton, Robert Edison, 1909-2004, filmmaker.
Sante, Luc, writer of supplementary textual content.
Mosshart, Alison, 1978- artist.
Janus Films, production company.
CitiFilmWorks (Firm), production company.
Pinball London (Firm), production company.
Criterion Collection (Firm), publisher.
- Publisher Number:
CC2557D The Criterion Collection (container)
CC2557D-1 The Criterion Collection (disc one)
CC2557D-2 The Criterion Collection (disc two)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|