The meanest man in Congress : Jack Brooks and the making of an American century / Brendan and Tim McNulty ; foreword by Jim Wright.
- Montgomery, AL : NewSouth Books, 
xvii, 556 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates: illustrations ; 24 cm
- Brooks, Jack, 1922-2012.
United States. Congress. House -- Biography.
Brooks, Jack, 1922-2012.
United States. Congress. House.
Legislators -- United States -- Biography.
United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
Texas -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
Politics and government.
- "Jack Brooks' career in the U.S. House of Representatives embodied the extraordinary times of the latter half of the 20th century in America, and today serves as an example of how politics and compromise can be effective in governing a nation. A child of the Great Depression and a young Marine in the jungles of the South Pacific in World War II, Brooks turned first to the law and then Texas state politics before setting off on an idealistic run for Congress. During the next 42 years Brooks became one of the longest-serving members of the House and a master of moving legislation into law. A far different atmosphere exists in Washington today, a zero-sum game where one party must lose in order for the other to win. But in Brooks' day, compromise was the governing ethos, Republicans and Democrats ate and drank with each other, families shared celebrations and children attended the same schools. Partisanship was ever-present and hard fought but it didn't prevent legislation from moving forward. Brooks was fiscally conservative and a lifelong member of the NRA, and he was also a liberal advocate for the poor and those seeking justice from the government"-- Provided by publisher.
- Dallas 1963
The early years
Legislature and Lamar
First race for Congress
The late 1950s
Rising Texas tide
Legislation : 1961-1965
Power in the presidency
Legislation : 1965-1968
All the way with LBJ
Legislation : 1969-1972
Reaganomics and runaway spending
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- McNulty, Tim (Timothy John), 1947- author.
Wright, Jim, writer of foreword.
- Other format:
- Online version: McNulty, Brendan, author. Meanest man in Congress
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|