Around the world in 80 words : a journey through the English language / Paul Anthony Jones.
- Other Title:
- Around the world in eighty words
- London : Elliott and Thompson Limited, 2018. , ©2018
xiv, 271 pages ; 23 cm.
- English language -- Etymology.
English language -- Etymology.
- What makes a place so memorable that it survives for ever in a word? In this captivating round-the-world jaunt, Paul Anthony Jones reveals the intriguing stories of how 80 different places came to be immortalised in our language. Beginning in London and heading through Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and the Americas, you'll discover why the origins of turkeys, brazil nuts, limericks and Panama hats aren't quite as straight forward as you might presume. You'll also find out what the Philippines has given to your office in-tray; what an island with more bears than people has given your liquor cabinet; and how a tiny hamlet in Nottinghamshire became Gotham City. Our dictionaries are full of hidden histories, tales and adventures from all over the world -- if you know where to look.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 269-270).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|