Israel's armor : the Israel lobby and the first generation of the Palestine conflict / Walter L. Hixson, University of Akron, Ohio.
- Other Title:
- The Israel lobby and the first generation of the Palestine conflict
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2019.
- Cambridge studies in US foreign relations
Cambridge studies in US foreign relations
ix, 313 pages ; 23 cm.
- American Zionist Emergency Council -- History.
American Israel Public Affairs Committee -- History.
American Israel Public Affairs Committee.
American Zionist Emergency Council.
United States -- Foreign relations -- Israel.
Israel -- Foreign relations -- United States.
Zionists -- Political activity -- United States.
Zionism -- United States -- History.
Lobbying -- United States -- History.
Zionists -- Political activity.
- "The United States and Israel have long had a "special relationship." In May 1948 the United States became the first country in the world to recognize the Zionist state and has been a critical ally and benefactor ever since that time. One measure of the special relationship is financial. The small state of Israel, with a population of about 8.5 million, is "the largest cumulative recipient of US foreign assistance since World War II." This book analyzes the foundations and early history of a critical component of the special relationship, the pro-Israel lobby. The lobby has proven to be a controversial topic and perhaps for that reason it remains under-studied. One result of the absence of historical analysis is the tendency to associate the Israel lobby with the more recent past. In fact, however, the extensive lobbying efforts of American Zionists predate the creation of Israel and flourished throughout the first generation of the special relationship. The Israel lobby today is broadly based, well funded, and more powerful than ever, but it has from the outset played a crucial role in mobilizing US support for the Zionist state"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|