The taste of country cooking / Edna Lewis.
- [Third Printing]
- New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 1977.
- Conference Name:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
xv, , 260, viii,  pages : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Cooking -- Virginia.
African American cooking.
Freetown (Va.) -- History.
- Spring. Introduction; An early spring dinner after sheep-shearing; A spring breakfast when the shad were running; A late spring lunch after wild-mushroom picking; A late spring dinner with spring-hatched chicken; A hearty midday dinner
Summer. Introduction. A creamed ham and sweet potato breakfast; An early summer lunch of the season's delicacies; An early summer dinner of veal, scallions, and the first berries; A prepared-ahead summer dinner; Midsummer Sunday breakfast; A busy-day summer dinner; Putting up fruits and vegetables, pickles, and wine; Wheat-harvesting midday dinner; Making ice cream on a summer afternoon; Sunday revival dinner; A cool-evening supper; The night for a boiled Virginia ham dinner
Fall. Introduction. Breakfast before leaving for Race Day; Race Day picnic; Making wine, persimmon beer, and a fall preserve; Emancipation Day dinner; Fall breakfast before a day of hunting; Hunting season dinner; Morning-after-hog-butchering breakfast; Preparations for Christmas
Winter. Introduction. Christmas Eve supper; Christmas breakfast; Christmas dinner; A snowy winter breakfast; A dinner celebrating the last of the barnyard fowl; A dinner from the leg of beef; A bean supper; A dinner of chicken and dumplings and warm gingerbread.
- "This is a Borzoi Book published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc."
"Published May 28, 1976. Reprinted Once. Third Printing, April 1977."
"The text of this book was set on the Linotype in a face called Primer, designed by Rudolph Ruzicka, earlier responsible for the design of Fairfield and Fairfield Medium."--A Note on the Type.
"Typography and binding design by Margaret McCutcheon Wagner."
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy has photocopied book review laid in.
Banks Collection copy pages 23-30 unevenly inserted in text.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Cookbooks (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0394732154 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|