Dining at Monticello : in good taste and abundance / edited by Damon Lee Fowler.
- Charlottesville, VA : Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc., 2005.
- Chapel Hill, North Carolina : Distributed by The University of North Carolina Press
v, , 202 pages : illustrations (some color), portraits, facsimiles ; 25 cm
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826.
Cooking -- United States -- History.
Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826
- Childrens subjects:
- Cooking -- United States -- History.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Virginia Charlottesville.
United States North Carolina Chapel Hill.
- "Dining at Monticello: In Good Taste and Abundance combines recipes, background essays, and lush illustrations to provide an inviting view of the renowned hospitality offered at Thomas Jefferson's table." "Ten introductory essays by Monticello scholars and by outside experts illuminate all areas of food and drink at Jefferson's home, ranging from the groceries and wine imported from Europe, to the restored kitchen at Monticello, to the African Americans who participated in this rich food culture at every stage. Following these essays are seventy-five recipes found in the family manuscripts, some written in Jefferson's own hand."--Jacket.
- The Essays. Thomas Jefferson's Place in American Food History / Damon Lee Fowler; Nourishing the Congress: Hospitality in the President's House / Lucia C. Stanton; Like Clockwork: French influence in Monticello's Kitchen / Justin A. Sarafin; Carrying the Keys: women and housekeeping at Monticello / Elizabeth V. Chew; African-Americans and Monticello's Food Culture / Dianne Swann-Wright; "A Declaration of Wants": Provisioning the Monticello Table / Gaye Wilson; Thomas Jefferson's Favorite Vegetables / Peter J. Hatch; Thomas Jefferson's Table: Evidence and Influences / Karen Hess; Dining at Monticello: the "Feast of Reason" / Susan R. Stein; Jefferson and Wine: a "Necessary of life" / James Gabler
The Recipes. A note on the recipes / Beth L. Cheuk and Damon Lee Fowler; Breads; Soups; Entrees; Side Dishes; Desserts.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 194) and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Fowler, Damon Lee, editor.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Cookbooks (University of Pennsylvania)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|