Sermons / by the late Rev. Mr. Sterne.
- London : Printed for W. Strahan, T. Cadell, successor to Mr. Millar, and T. Beckett and Co. ..., MDCCLXIX 
3 volumes ; 16 cm (8vo)
- r.V. heby n.ur Lian (3) 1769 (R) v.5
s.X. ton- of,- thwh (3) 1769 (R) v.6
I.s. -Aof odch heri (3) 1769 (R) v.7
- Church of England -- Sermons -- Early works to 1800.
Sermons, English -- 18th century.
- Subscription lists -- England -- 18th century.
Booksellers' advertisements -- England -- London -- 18th century.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Volume 5. Temporal advantages of religion. Our conversation in Heaven. Description of the world. St. Peter's characters. Thirtieth of January. Sermon VI [untitled]
volume 6. Trust in God. Sermon VIII [untitled]. Sanctity of the Apostles. Penances. On enthusiasm. Eternal advantages of religion
volume 7. Asa : a thanksgiving sermon. Follow peace. Search the scriptures. Sermon XVI [untitled]. The ways of Providence justified to man. The ingratitude of Israel.
- Volumes 5-7. Previous volumes in the set published with title: Sermons of Mr. Yorick. Vol. 1-2: London : Printed for R. and J. Dodsley, 1760. Vol. 3-4: London : Printed for T. Becket and P.A. De Hondt, 1766.
Signatures: v. 5: A² [superscript pi]A⁸ a⁴ B–L⁸ M⁶ ; v. 6: A² B–M⁸ (leaf M8 blank) ; v. 7: A² B–L⁸.
Pagination: v. 5: , 172 pages ; v. 6: , 174,  pages ; v. 7: , 160 pages.
Woodcut title ornaments.
Subscribers' list: volume 5, leaves [superscript pi]A1-a4.
"After the text and below a rule on L8b [of volume 7] appears an advertisement: 'BOOKS written by Mr. STERNE. 1. The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy. 9 Volumes. 18s. sewed. 2. Sermons. 4 Volumes. 10s. sewed. 3. A Sentimental Journey through France and Italy. 2 Volumes. 5s. sewed.'"--Monkman.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Day Sterne Collection copies 1 and 2 acquired from Geoffrey Day in 2018.
Day Sterne Collection copy 1 imperfect: volume 7 only.
Day Sterne Collection copy 1 has partially illegible dated 19th-century autograph ("[...].B. Knowlys 1886[?]") on blank leaf following front free endpaper.
Day Sterne Collection copy 2 imperfect: volume 5: gatherings [superscript pi]A⁸ and a⁴ (subscription list) wanting.
Day Sterne Collection copy 2 has on front pastedown armorial bookplate of Martin Folkes Rishton, Esq. (1747-1820).
Day Sterne Collection copy 2 bound in full speckled calf(?); gold-tooled cover edges; 5 raised, gold-tooled bands on spine; gold-tooled spine panels; gold-stamped red leather spine label ("STERNE'S SERMONS."); gold-tooled black leather spine label with volume numbers; all edges stippled red.
Day Sterne Collection copy 2 bound in 1 volume.
- Penn Provenance:
- Day, Geoffrey (former owner) (Day Sterne Collection copy 1 & 2)
Rishton, Martin Folkes, 1747-1820 (bookplate) (Day Sterne Collection copy 2)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC T14821
Monkman, K. Florida edition of the works of Laurence Sterne, volume 5, appendix 3, V-1, VI-1, VII-1
- Strahan, William, 1715-1785, bookseller.
Cadell, T. (Thomas), 1742-1802, bookseller.
T. Becket and Co., bookseller.
Geoffrey Day Collection of Laurence Sterne (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|