The life and opinions of Tristram Shandy, gentleman : with a key by Hatspen Barnevelt. Vol. IX.
- The third edition.
- London : Printed for T. Durham, at Charing-Cross, and T. Caslon, in Pater-noster Row, MDCCLXVII 
, 15, , 143,  pages ; 16 cm (8vo)
- e.al ofx- wnd. savo (3) 1767 (R)
- English fiction -- 18th century.
- Stream of consciousness fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Third edition of a "spurious instalment [of volume 9 of Tristram Shandy] published several months before Steme came up with the genuine one."--K. Monkman, "The bibliography of the early editions of Tristram Shandy," The Library, 5th series, 25.1 (March 1970), page 30.
"[T]he title-page is completely reset, and is followed by a new one-page ‘Advertisement’ (sig. pi2a), and a new fifteen-page ‘Key’ (sigs. A1–8a; A8b is blank). The remainder of the text of this 'third edition' is made up of the unsold sheets of the first edition, which suggests that neither the second nor the third editions were called for as a result of sales."--W.G. Day, "Surreptitious publication of the spurious volume IX of Tristram Shandy," The Library, 7th series, 16 (2015), page 468.
Signatures: pi² A-K⁸.
Errata on leaf K8v.
- Local notes:
- Day Sterne Collection copy bound with: Sterne, Laurence. The life and opinions of Tristram Shandy, gentleman. Vol. IX. London : Printed for T. Becket and P.A. Dehondt ..., MDCCLXVII  (copy 3).
Kislak Center Day Sterne Collection copy acquired from Geoffrey Day in 2018.
Day Sterne Collection copy has manuscript note ("12. 3. 80, Blackwell £1500.- (= Ex. Sotheby, 1st Oct. 79, 235)") in pencil on back pastedown.
- Penn Provenance:
- Day, Geoffrey (former owner) (Day Sterne Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Sterne, Laurence, 1713-1768, attributed name.
Durham, Thomas (Bookseller)
Caslon, Thomas, -1783, bookseller.
Geoffrey Day Collection of Laurence Sterne (University of Pennsylvania)
Collection of British and American Fiction, 1660-1830 (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|