Lessons on Caffeine, Cannabis & Co [electronic resource] : Plant-derived Drugs and their Interaction with Human Receptors / by Angelika Böttger, Ute Vothknecht, Cordelia Bolle, Alexander Wolf.
- 1st ed. 2018.
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2018.
- Biomedical and Life Sciences (Springer-11642)
Learning materials in biosciences 2509-6125
Learning Materials in Biosciences, 2509-6125
1 online resource (X, 217 pages) : 69 illustrations, 50 illustrations in color.
Science -- Study and teaching.
- Local subjects:
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- This textbook provides a structured, easy to understand and thorough insight into the mode of function of plant secondary metabolites in plants and humans. It explains the biosynthesis and molecular action of nicotine, cannabis, caffeine and Co, describes the effects of these drugs on signal transduction at receptors and ion channels in animals, their relevance for human health and their potential for recreational use and abuse. It also offers a broad and comprehensive understanding on the role and function of these diverse molecules for the plants that make them. This textbook is written for master students and scientist in biochemistry and biology as well as for pharmaceutical and medical students. It will be a valuable study tool for teachers and students alike.
- Introduction: Plant secondary metabolites and their general function in plants
Historical and current perspective
General overview over biosynthesis pathways of plant secondary metabolites
Drugs affecting GPCR: GPCRs in plants and animals
Dopamine and 5-HT2A-serotonin receptors - Cocaine, mescaline, psilobin
Opiate receptors - morphine, salvinorin A
Cannabinoid receptors - THC
Muscarinergic acetylcholin receptor - muscarin, atropine
Adenosine receptor - caffeine
Drugs affecting ion channels: Ligand and voltage activated channels
Nicotinic acetylcholin receptor - Nicotine, Curare
GABAA/C-receptor - Muscimol, thujone
ionotropic Glycine receptor - Strychnine
ionotropic Glutamate receptor - ibogtenic acid, kainic acid
TRP channels - capsaicin, menthol, aconitine, resiniferatoxin
Anti-cancer drugs acting on the cell cycle: Cell cycle in animals and plants
Microtubuli - Colchicine, taxol, vinblastine, Podophyllotoxin (Lignan)
Topoisomerase - camptothecin, etoposide
G2/M phase arrest, apoptosis - curcubitacin, triptolide.
- Vothknecht, Ute. author., Author,
Bolle, Cordelia. author., Author,
Wolf, Alexander, author., Author,
SpringerLink (Online service)
- Contained In:
- Springer eBooks
- Other format:
- Printed edition:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-3-319-99546-5 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|