A history of states and economic policies in early modern Europe / Silvia A. Conca Messina.
- Standardized Title:
- Profitti del potere. English
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Perspectives in economic and social history; 57.
Perspectives in economic and social history ; 57
vi, 238 pages ; 24 cm.
- Economic history.
Europe -- Economic conditions.
Europe -- Economic policy.
International economic relations -- History.
International economic relations.
- Why was early modern Europe the starting point of the economic expansion which led to the Industrial Revolution? What was the state's role in this momentous transformation? A History of States and Economic Policies in Early Modern Europe takes a comparative approach to answer these questions, demonstrating that wars, public finance and state intervention in the economy were the key elements underlying European economic dynamics of the era. Structured in two parts, the book begins by examining the central issues of the state-economy relationship, including military revolution, the fiscal state and public finance, mercantilism, the formation of commercial empires and the economic war between Britain and France in the 1700s. The second part presents a detailed comparison between the different economic policies of the most important European states, looking at their unique demographic, economic, military and institutional contexts. Taken as a whole, this work provides a valuable analysis of early modern economic history and a picture of Europe's global position on the eve of the Industrial Revolution. This book will be useful to students and researchers of economic history, early modern history and European history.
- War, finance, and mercantilism
Great divergence, fiscal-military state and economic policy
From trading cities to territorial states
The "military revolution"
The rise of the fiscal state
Different paths to public finance and fiscal systems
European states and the crisis of the seventeenth century
Responses to the crisis : recentering the european economy
Naval power and global trade
The economic war between France and Britain in the 18th century
The Italian states (16th-17th centuries)
State, economic policy and the Portuguese empire
Spain: empire, crisis, reforms
The Dutch Republic : a "merchant state"
France : state, colbertism, economic performance
England and the UK : the mercantile system
The economic policy of Sweden
Russia from Peter the Great to Catherine
State and economy in Frederick II's Brandenburg-Prussia
The Habsburg monarchy
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Electronic version: Conca Messina, Silvia A., 1966- Profitti del potere. English. History of states and economic policies in early modern Europe.
9780429648885 (ePub ebook)
9780429651526 (PDF ebook)
9780429646249 (Mobipocket ebook)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|