Discourse and affect in foreign policy : Germany and the Iraq War / Jakub Eberle.
- Standardized Title:
- Logics of foreign policy
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- The new international relations
xv, 141 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 24 cm.
- Iraq War, 2003-2011.
Politics and government.
Germany -- Foreign relations -- 1990-
Germany -- Politics and government -- 1990-
Germany -- Military policy.
Iraq War (2003-2011)
- "Foreign and security policy have long been removed from the political pressures that influence other areas of policymaking. This has led to a tendency to separate the analytical levels of the individual and the collective. Using Lacanian theory, which views the subject as ontologically incomplete and desiring a perfect identity which is realised in fantasies, or narrative scenarios, this book shows that the making of foreign policy is a much more complex process. Emotions and affect play an important role, even where 'hard' security issues such as the use of military force are concerned. Eberle constructs a new theoretical framework for analysing foreign policy by capturing the interweaving of both discursive and affective aspects in policymaking. The author uses this framework to explain Germany's often contradictory foreign policy towards the Iraq crisis of 2002/2003, and the emotional, even existential, public debate that accompanied it. This book adds to ongoing theoretical debates in International Political Sociology and Critical Security Studies and will be required reading for all scholars working in these areas"-- Provided by publisher.
- The logics approach : discourse, affect and critical explanation
Rethinking foreign policy: including affect, encircling decisions
Contradictory common sense : Iraq War and social logics of German foreign policy
Constructing crisis : political logics and the madness of decision
Affective disorder and the desire for closure : Fantasy and the fantasmatic logic.
- Revision of author's thesis (doctoral)--University of Warwick, 2016, titled Logics of foreign policy : discourse, fantasy and Germany's policies in the Iraq crisis.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Other format:
- Online version: Eberle, Jakub, author. Discourse and affect in foreign policy
9780429945793 (ePub ebook)
9780429945809 (PDF ebook)
9780429945786 (Mobipocket ebook)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|