Only yesterday / by Frederick Lewis Allen.
- New York : Bantam Books, 1959. , ©1931
- Bantam classic; FC 15.
Bantam classic ; FC 15
xi, 270 pages ; 18 cm
- United States -- History -- 1919-1933.
United States -- Social conditions.
United States -- Economic conditions -- 1918-1945.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- Hailed as a classic even when it was first published in 1931. A social history, it depicts the rise of post-World War I prosperity, the catalytic incidents that led to the Crash of 1929, and the devastating economic decline that ensued - all set before a rich backdrop of flappers, Al Capone, the first radio, and the "scandalous" rise of skirt hemlines, Listerine and Lindbergh, as well as Ford, Babe Ruth, the Teapot Dome, and bathtub gin.
- 1. Prelude: May, 1919
2. Back to normalcy
3. The big red scare
4. America convalescent
5. The revolution in manners and morals
6. Harding and the scandals
7. Coolidge prosperity
8. The Ballyhoo years
9. The revolt of the highbrows
10. Alcohol and Al Capone
11. Home, sweet Forida
12. The big bull market
14. Aftermath: 1930-31.
- "Copyright, 1931, by Frederick Lewis Allen"---verso of title page.
Includes bibliographical references (page 256-259) and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center copy gifted by Dr. Mark B. Adams in 2018.
- Penn Provenance:
- Adams, Mark B., (former owner) (autograph) (Adams copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Bantam Books (Firm), publisher.
Mark B. Adams Emergence of Modern Science Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|