Israel L. Jacobs account book, 1840-1856.
1 volume + 28 leaves.
- Account books -- Pennsylvania -- Windsor Township -- 19th century -- Specimens.
Pennsylvania -- Windsor Township -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
Manuscripts, American -- 19th century.
- Lived in Lower Windsor, Township Pennsylvania and worked as a farm laborer and later as an innkeeper. Jacobs was married to Ann Jacobs and the they had seven children: Zacharias, Henrietta, Israel, Henry, Barton, William, and George.
- This volume contains the daybook of Israel Jacobs in Lower Windsor Township, Pennsylvania spanning the years from 1840 to 1856. The book is arranged chronologically and then by name. An index is at the beginning off the volume with handmade finding tabs is arranged by first name and page number. The pages are hand numbered on the versos and span one opening for each person with debits on the left and credits on the right. Payments are for goods and services and boarding provided by Jacobs. They include cloth, flour, harvesting, hauling, planting, seeding, tobacco, use of horses, wagons, wheat, and whiskey. Some of Jacobs' customers included Samuel Abel, Samuel Gilbert, Zachariah D. Jacobs, and Christian Woods. Twenty-eight leaves are laid in the volume. Some leaves are small fragments with notes and totaling of amounts. Some leaves record payments by customers. One leave is a summons for Jacobs to appear before the constable of Lower Windsor. Written on the front cover: Israel Jacobs his book bought February 14 AD 1840; ... Israel Jacobs his day book March 10, 1841. The names Zacharias Jacobs and Emanuel Jacobs are written on the back cover. Spine is lacking. Several leaves are loose and some gatherings detached.
- Penn Provenance:
- Presented to the Penn Libraries in 2012 by Arnold and Deanne Kaplan.
- Cited as:
- UPenn CAJS MS 56, Codex 031.1.
- Kaplan, Arnold, donor.
Kaplan, Deanne, donor.
Arnold and Deanne Kaplan Collection of Early American Judaica (University of Pennsylvania)
- Access Restriction:
- Access to this item is subject to staff review.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|