The Holy Bible : containing the Old and New Testaments, according to the Authorised Version / with illustrations by Gustave Doré.
- Standardized Title:
- Bible. English. Authorized. 1883.
- Other Title:
- Title of the Apocrypha: Ancient writings commonly attached to the Old Testament scriptures, and accounted apocryphal
Title of the New Testament: New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
Commonly known as: Doré Bible
- London ; Paris ; New York ; and Melbourne : Cassell and Company, Limited, [not before 1883]
2 volumes : illustrations ; 39 cm
- Bible -- Pictorial illustrations.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
United States New York (State) New York (City)
- Volume 1. Old Testament: Genesis to Lamentations
v. 2. Old Testament: Ezekiel to Malachi ; Apocrypha ; New Testament.
- Cassell and Company, Limited, began publishing under that name in 1883.
The Old Testament (1116 pages; 136 plates), Apocrypha (188 pages, 21 plates), and New Testament (348 pages, 81 plates) each has special title leaf, separate pagination and separate enumeration of plates..
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Rudolph Doré Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Robert I. Rudolph, M.D., C’67, M’71, GME’75.
Rudolph Doré Collection copy: volume 1 has a family register ( leaves) bound in after the list of engravings.
Rudolph Doré Collection copy: each volume bound in full dark leather over gold- and blind-tooled, rounded-edge boards; 6 raised, gold-ruled bands on spine; gold-tooled spine panels; title ("HOLY BIBLE") and volume title (volume 1: "GENESIS TO LAMENTATIONS"; volume 2: "EZEKIEL TO REVELATION") stamped in gold on spine; gold-tooled turn-ins; marbled endpapers doublures; all edges gilt.
- Penn Provenance:
- Rudolph, Robert I., M.D. (donor) (Rudolph Doré Collection of Gustave Doré copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- 1883 (not before)
- Doré, Gustave, 1832-1883, illustrator.
Rudolph, Robert I., M.D., former owner.
Cassell & Company, publisher.
Robert I. Rudolph Collection of Gustave Doré (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|