Translation and modernization in East Asia in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries / edited by Lawrence Wang-chi Wong.
- Other records:
- Hong Kong : Chinese University Press, 
- Asian translation traditions series ; 3.
Asian Translation Traditions Series ; 3
1 online resource (xvii, 380 pages).)
- Social change -- East Asia.
Translating and interpreting -- Social aspects -- East Asia.
- Electronic books.
- This volume aims at studying the role played by translation in the modernization process of the East Asian countries. In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, many people saw the West as a model for modernization and hence modernization in East Asia was more often than not taken as a process of learning from or even imitating the West. In this process, translation played a crucial role, when efforts were made to import Western ideas, knowledge, concepts, and practices. The papers in this volume study and explain the various translation phenomena in the modernization processes of China, Korea, and Japan.
- Introduction / Lawrence Wang-chi Wong
The Meiji government's strategic deployment of non-fiction translation as a vehicle of modernization / Judy Wakabayashi
Translated modernity and gender politics in colonial Korea / Hyaeweol Choi
Rejuvenating the nation : translation, nationalism, and the establishment of children's literature in Korea in the early twentieth century / Theresa Hyun
The project of the modernization of Chinese historiography : translation, diffusion, and convergence / Hans Kühner
Translating authority : in search of commensurability between Tianxia world order and western sovereignty / Maria Adele Carrai
"Entrance into the family of nations" : translation and the first diplomatic missions to the west, 1860s-1870s / Lawrence Wang-chi Wong
Civilization in transformation : Liang Qichao's theory and practice of translation, 1890s-1920s / Satoru Hashimoto
The first translations of the Italian literary avant-garde movement in the Chinese press at the beginning of the twentieth century / Alessandra Brezzi
World of fiction, fiction of the world : the butterfly translation of modernity in Story world magazine / John Christopher Hamm
Negotiating Chinese modernity through the translation of tears : two "foreign" tragic love stories from early twentieth-century China / Yun Zhu
From "Geschäftiger Geist" to "Zeitgeist" : on Guo Moruo's translation of Goethe's Faust / Pu Wang.
- "The present volume is a collection of selected papers of the international conference on "Translation and Modernization in East Asia in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries," organized by the Research Centre for Translation (RCT), The Chinese University of Hong Kong on 29-31 May 2013"--Page [ix].
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on print version record.
- Chinese University of Hong Kong. Research Centre for Translation, organizer.
Wong, Lawrence Wang-chi, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|