Chinese politics [electronic resource] : state, society and the market / edited by Peter Hays Gries and Stanley Rosen.
- Other records:
- Abingdon, Oxon, England ; New York : Routledge, c2010.
- Asia's Transformations
1 online resource (300 p.)
- China -- Economic conditions -- 2000-.
China -- Politics and government -- 2002-.
China -- Social conditions -- 2000-.
- Electronic books.
- Written by a team of leading China scholars this text interrogates the dynamics of state power and legitimation in 21st Century China.Despite the continuing economic successes and rising international prestige of China there has been increasing social protests over corruption, land seizures, environmental concerns, and homeowner movements. Such political contestation presents an opportunity to explore the changes occurring in China today - what are the goals of political contestation, how are Chinese Communist Party leaders legitimizing their rule, who are the specific actors involve
- Book Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; Illustrations; Contributors; Acknowledgments; Introduction: Political change, contestation, and pluralization in China today; 1 Dilemmas of party adaptation: The CCP's strategies for survival; 2 Legitimacy crisis in China?; 3 Society in the state: China's nondemocratic political pluralization; 4 Protest leadership in rural China; 5 Tenuous tolerance in China's countryside; 6 Do Chinese citizens want the government to do more to promote equality?; 7 Chinese youth and state-society relations
8 Censorship and surveillance in Chinese cyberspace: Beyond the Great Firewall9 The politics of art repatriation: Nationalism, state legitimation, and Beijing's looted zodiac animal heads; 10 Tibetans, Uyghurs, and multinational "China": Han-minority relations and state legitimation; 11 A question of confidence: State legitimacy and the new urban poor; 12 Popular responses to China's emerging welfare state; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
- Gries, Peter Hays, 1967-
Rosen, Stanley, 1942-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|