Modeling volcanic processes [electronic resource] : the physics and mathematics of volcanism / edited by Sarah A. Fagents, Tracy K.P. Gregg, Rosaly M.C. Lopes.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
1 online resource (450 p.)
- Volcanism -- Mathematical models.
- Electronic books.
- "Understanding the physical behavior of volcanoes is key to mitigating the hazards active volcanoes pose to the ever-increasing populations living nearby. The processes involved in volcanic eruptions are driven by a series of interlinked physical phenomena, and to fully understand these, volcanologists must employ various physics subdisciplines. This book provides the first advanced-level, one-stop resource examining the physics of volcanic behavior and reviewing the state-of-the-art in modeling volcanic processes. Each chapter begins by explaining simple modeling formulations and progresses to present cutting-edge research illustrated by case studies. Individual chapters cover subsurface magmatic processes through to eruption in various environments and conclude with the application of modeling to understanding the other volcanic planets of our Solar System. Providing an accessible and practical text for graduate students of physical volcanology, this book is also an important resource for researchers and professionals in the fields of volcanology, geophysics, geochemistry, petrology and natural hazards"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: List of contributors; 1. Introduction / Sarah Fagents, Tracy Gregg and Rosaly Lopes; 2. Magma chamber dynamics and thermodynamics / Josef Dufek, Chris Huber and Leif Karlstrom; 3. The dynamics of dike propagation / Steve Tait and Benoit Taisne; 4. Dynamics of magma ascent in the volcanic conduit / Helge Gonnermann and Michael Manga; 5. Lava flows / Andrew Harris; 6. Unsteady explosive activity: Strombolian eruptions / Mike James, Steve Lane and Bruce Houghton; 7. Unsteady explosive activity: Vulcanian eruptions / Amanda Clarke; 8. Sustained explosive activity: volcanic eruption columns and Hawaiian fountains / Andrew Woods; 9. Modeling tephra sedimentation from volcanic plumes / Costanza Bonadonna and Antonio Costa; 10. Pyroclastic density currents / Olivier Roche, Jeremy Phillips and Karim Kelfoun; 11. Magma-water interactions / Ken Wohletz, Bernd Zimanowski and Ralf Büttner; 12. Deep sea eruptions / Tracy Gregg; 13. Magma-ice interactions / Lionel Wilson, John Smellie and James Head; 14. Modeling lahar behavior and hazards / Vernon Manville, Jon Major and Sarah Fagents; 15. Introduction to quantitative volcano seismology: fluid-driven sources / Bernard Chouet; 16. Volcano acoustics / Milton Garcés, David Fee and Robin Matoza; 17. Planetary volcanism / Rosaly Lopes, Sarah Fagents, Karl Mitchell and Tracy Gregg; Index.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Fagents, Sarah A.
Gregg, Tracy K. P.
Lopes, Rosaly M. C.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|