Pipe dreams : water and empire in Central Asia's Aral Sea Basin / Maya K. Peterson, University of California.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2019. , ©2019
- Studies in environment and history
Studies in environment and history
xxii, 399 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 24 cm.
- Water resources development -- Asia, Central.
Rural development -- Asia, Central.
Asia, Central -- History -- 20th century.
Soviet Union -- Politics and government.
Politics and government.
Water resources development.
- The drying up of the Aral Sea - a major environmental catastrophe of the late twentieth century - is deeply rooted in the dreams of the irrigation age of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, a time when engineers, scientists, politicians, and entrepreneurs around the world united in the belief that universal scientific knowledge, together with modern technologies, could be used to transform large areas of the planet from 'wasteland' into productive agricultural land. Though ostensibly about bringing modernity, progress, and prosperity to the deserts, the transformation of Central Asia's landscapes through tsarist- and Soviet-era hydraulic projects bore the hallmarks of a colonial experiment. Examining how both regimes used irrigation-age fantasies of bringing the deserts to life as a means of claiming legitimacy in Central Asia, Maya K. Peterson brings a fresh perspective to the history of Russia's conquest and rule of Central Asia.
The land beyond the rivers: Russians on the Amu and Syr Darya
Eastern Eden: irrigation and empire on the hungry steppe
To create a new Turkestan: water governance in the irrigation age
The land of bread and honey? Settlement and subversion in the land of seven rivers
Sundering the chains of nature: Bolshevik visions for Central Asia
From shockwork to People's Construction: socialist labor on Stalin's canals
Epilogue: the fate of the Aral Sea.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- ebook version :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|