African art in the Barnes Foundation : the triumph of L'Art nègre and the Harlem Renaissance / by Christa Clarke ; with contributions by Arthur Bourgeois [and fourteen others].
- Other Title:
- African art
- New York, NY : Skira Rizzoli ; Philadelphia, PA : In association with the Barnes Foundation, 2015.
294 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), map, portraits ; 33 cm
- Art, African -- Catalogs.
Art, African -- Private collections -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Catalogs.
Wood sculpture, African -- Private collections -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Catalogs.
Masks, African -- Private collections -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Catalogs.
Sculpture, Black -- Private collections -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Catalogs.
Harlem Renaissance -- History.
Barnes Foundation -- Influence.
Barnes Foundation -- Catalogs.
- The first publication of the Barnes Foundation's important and extensive African art collection. The Barnes Foundation is renowned for its astonishing collection of Postimpressionist and early Modern art assembled by Albert C. Barnes, a Philadelphia pharmaceutical entrepreneur. Less known is the pioneering collection of African sculpture that Barnes acquired between 1922 and 1924, mainly from Paul Guillaume, the Paris-based dealer. The Barnes Foundation was one of the first permanent installations in the United States to present objects from Africa as fine art. Indeed, the African collection is central to understanding Barnes's socially progressive vision for his foundation. This comprehensive volume showcases all 123 objects, including reliquary figures, masks, and utensils, most of which originated in France's African colonies - Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Gabon, and the Congo - as well as in Sierra Leone, Republic of Benin, and Nigeria. Christa Clarke considers the significance of the collection and Barnes's role in the Harlem Renaissance and in fostering broader appreciation of African art in the twentieth century. In-depth catalog entries by noted scholars in the field complete the volume.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 278-281) and index.
- Barnes Foundation, issuing body.
Bourgeois, Arthur P. (Arthur Paul), 1940- author.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|