The decline of the congress system : Metternich, Italy and European diplomacy / Miroslav Šedivý.
- London : I.B. Tauris, 2018. , ©2018
- International library of historical studies ; 114. (NL-LeOCL)155928473
International library of historical studies ; 114
x, 351 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, maps, portraits ; 24 cm.
- Metternich, Clemens Wenzel Lothar, Fürst von, 1773-1859.
Metternich, Clemens Wenzel Lothar, Fürst von, 1773-1859.
Congress of Vienna (1814-1815)
Austria -- Foreign relations -- Italy -- History -- 19th century.
Austria -- Relations -- Italy -- History -- 19th century.
Italy -- Politics and government -- 1815-1870.
Italy -- History -- 1815-1870.
Politics and government.
Europe -- Politics and government -- 1815-1871.
Europe -- Foreign relations -- 1815-1871.
- Following the Congress of Vienna in 1815 the 'Congress System' became the primary system of international relations in Europe. So central was the Austrian Chancellor Metternich to the political-legal Congress System that the period 1815-1830 has often been referred to as the `Age of Metternich'. In this book, Mirolsav Sedivy analyses Metternich's policy towards the pre-united Italian states from 1830 to 1848. With an emphasis on geopolitics and international law and drawing attention to the unsettled role of the Italian states within European diplomacy in the period, this book explains why the Italian peninsula never developed into the stable region that Metternich hoped to establish at the heart of the Congress System. Owing to the self-interested policies of some European Powers as well as the larger of the Italian states Metternich proved unable to bring about `the transformation of European politics' in Italy. Using a thorough analysis of the role that Italy played in the Congress System and based on extensive research in eighteen European archives, this book explains why it was in Italy that the first war broke out after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, an event representing the first brutal blow to the Congress System. -- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 329-345) and index.
- Other format:
- Electronic version: 9781786724038
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|