Romanticism and illustration / edited by Ian Haywood, University of Roehampton; Susan Matthews, University of Roehampton; Mary Shannon, University of Roehampton.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2019.
xv, 325 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- 18th century.
Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
English literature -- Illustrations -- History.
Illustrators -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
Illustrators -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Romanticism in art.
Romanticism -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
Romanticism -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
English literature -- Illustrations.
Illustration of books.
Romanticism in art.
- "This collection of essays takes a fresh look at the important role of illustration in Romantic literature. The late eighteenth century saw an explosion of illustrated editions of literary classics and the emergence of a new culture of literary art, including the innovative literary galleries. The impact of these developments on the reading and viewing of literary texts is explored in a series of case studies covering poetry, historical texts, drama, painting, reproductive prints, magazines and ephemera. Romanticism and Illustration argues for a more detailed study of illustration which includes the context of a wider circulation of images across different media. The modern understanding of the word 'illustration' fails to convey the complex relationship between the artist, the engraver, the publisher, the text and the audience in Romantic Britain. In teasing out the implications of this dynamic cultural matrix, this book opens up a new field of Romantic studies"-- Provided by publisher.
- The ends of illustration : explanation, critique, and the political imagination in Blake's title-pages for Genesis / Peter Otto
'With a master's hand and prophet's fire' : Blake, Gray, and the bard / Sophie Thomas
Seeing history : illustration, poetic drama, and the national past / Dustin M. Frazier Wood
'Fuseli's poetic eye' : prints and impressions in Fuseli and Erasmus Darwin / Martin Priestman
Henry Fuseli's accommodations : 'attempting the domestic' in the illustrations to Cowper / Susan Matthews
Reading the romantic vignette : Stothard illustrates Bloomfield, Byron, and Crabbe for the Royal engagement pocket atlas / Sandro Jung
Intimate distance : Thomas Stothard's and J.M.W. Turner's illustrations of Samuel Rogers's Italy / Maureen McCue
Illustration, terror and female agency : Thomas Macklin's Poets gallery in a revolutionary decade / Ian Haywood
Maria Cosway's Hours : cosmopolitan and classical visual culture in Thomas Macklin's Poets gallery / Luisa Calè
Artists' Street : Thomas Stothard, R.H. Cromek, and literary illustration on London's Newman Street / Mary L. Shannon
The development of magazine illustration in Regency Britain : the example of Arliss's pocket magazine, 1818-1833 / Brian Maidment
Coda : Romantic illustration and the privatization of history painting / Martin Myrone.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 303-322) and index.
- Haywood, Ian, 1958- editor.
Matthews, Susan, 1955- editor.
Shannon, Mary L., editor.
- Other format:
- ebook version :
9781108602556 (PDF ebook)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|