Planning from below : a decentralized participatory planning proposal / Marta Harnecker and José Bartolomé ; with the collaboration of Noel López ; translated by Federico Fuentes.
- Standardized Title:
- Memoria popular latinoamericana. English
- New York : Monthly Review Press, 
307 pages : illustrations ; 29 cm
- In this book, Marta Harnecker, with Spanish economist José Bartolomé, shares some of her wisdom on how communities everywhere can gain empowerment. For, when impoverished people became involved in the planning process, they no longer feel like beggars demanding solutions from the state; they become the creators of their own destiny. Set out in two parts; this book first demonstrates the importance of community participants working outside a hierarchy, to allow as much decentralization as possible. The second part of the book centers on the methodology of this process: the various tasks taken on by participants and how, in planning processes over years, they are carried out.
- Volume I
What we mean by decentralized participatory planning
Venezuela and Kerala experiences
Levels of planning and type of plans
Necessary conditions for decentralised participatory planning
Phases in the planning process
Entities at the higher levels
Entities and actors at the local level
Appendix I. Levels of decentralization and competencies
Appendix II. System of participation flow chart
Appendix III. Proposals
Appendix iv. Timetable
Appendix V. Consolidating community organization
Direct knowledge of the lay of the land
Formulating the desired changes and transforming them into a list of aspirations (first step)
Defining priorities (second step)
Methodology for exploring alternative courses of action
Establishing budgetary and sector-based priorities
Prior tasks to be carried out by the planning and budget teams
Implementation, oversight, and evaluation
Appendix I. Examples of forms and tables for collecting and consolidating information into a database
Appendix II. Some motivating questions to formulate the aspirations in a community
Appendix III. Form to evaluate a project.
- "Originally published by Centro de Investigaciones 'Memoria Popular Latinoamericana' Havana, Cuba, February 2018."--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Bartolomé, José, author.
Fuentes, Federico, translator.
- Other format:
- Online version: Harnecker, Marta, author. Planning from below
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|