Manuscripts, politics and Oriental studies : life and collections of Johann Gottfried Wetzstein (1815-1905) in context / edited by Boris Liebrenz and Christoph Rauch.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Conference Name:
- Studies on Johann Gottfried Wetzstein (2015 : Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin--Preussischer Kulturbesitz)
- Islamic manuscripts and books; v. 19.
Islamic manuscripts and books, 1877-9964 ; volume 19
xxii, 437 pages ; 25 cm.
- Middle East specialists -- Germany -- Biography -- Congresses.
Manuscripts -- Collectors and collecting -- Germany -- Congresses.
Manuscripts -- Collectors and collecting -- Middle East -- Congresses.
Wetzstein, J. G. (Johann Gottfried), 1815-1905 -- Congresses.
Middle East -- Historiography -- Congresses.
- Local subjects:
- Wetzstein, Johann Gottfried.
- Chapters in English and German.
- "Manuscripts, Politics and Oriental Studies commemorates the life and works of Johann Gottfried Wetzstein (1815-1905) as a scholar, manuscript collector, and consul in Berlin and Damascus. Beyond research into Wetzstein's own time, special attention is given to the impact his efforts to acquire manuscripts have had until this day. Several contributions also illustrate contemporary developments that give context to his own career as a scholar and diplomat. The particular focus of this volume allows to explore the history of Oriental scholarship not purely through the lens of academic posts and publications but encourages us to discover lifes such as Wetzstein's, without academic stardom yet laying the material foundations of textual work for generations"-- Provided by publisher.
- Johann Gottfried Wetzstein als Forscher / Holger Preissler
Semitic studies at the Berlin University during Wetzstein's lifetime / Ludmila Hanisch
Growing collections and rising expectations: the endeavour to catalogue manuscripts in Arabic script at the Royal Library in Berlin / Christoph Rauch
The Wetzstein collection at Tubingen University Library: its history, its content, and its reception in Oriental studies / Michaela Hoffmann-Ruf
The Quranic collections acquired by Wetzstein / Francois Deroche
Johann Gottfried Wetzstein's manuscripts with Arabic popular stories / Jan Just Witkam
The consul and the king: Wetzstein and Alexander / Faustina Doufikar-Aerts
Wetzstein in wonderland: Arabian epic manuscripts in the Wetzstein collections / Claudia Ott
Arabic manuscripts and books from the bequest of Wetzstein / Boris Liebrenz, Christoph Rauch
Collecting Islamic manuscripts at the Munich Court Library in the nineteenth century: an acquisition history / Helga Rebhan
Manuscript acquisitions and their later movements: a further note about the case of the Lewis Quranic manuscript / Alba Fedeli
Manuscript ownership and readership at the American University of Beirut at the turn of the twentieth century / Kaoukab Chebaro, Samar El Mikati El Kaissi
Looking at man in the state of nature: Johann Gottfried Wetzstein on the Bedouin of the Syrian steppe / Astrid Meier
From Leipzig to Damascus: Wetzstein as a broker of Arabic prints in Syria / Boris Liebrenz
Bemerkungen zu den hinterlassenen Papieren Johann Gottfried Wetzsteins / Ingrid Huhn
Living in mid-nineteenth-century Damascus: insights into the urban residences of foreigners and locals / Anke Scharrahs
Arabist and consul in Damascus: Sir Richard Burton and the problematic nature of his translation of the thousand and one nights / Robert Irwin.
- Collects papers originally presented at the symposium Studies on Johann Gottfried Wetzstein (1815-1905): Manuscripts, Politics and Oriental Studies, presented by the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin in cooperation with Orientalisches Institut der Unversität Leipzig, Feb. 19-21, 2015.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Liebrenz, Boris, editor.
Rauch, Christoph, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Studies on Johann Gottfried Wetzstein (2015 : Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin--Preussischer Kulturbesitz) Manuscripts, politics and Oriental studies
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|