Modern illuminated vignettes, late 1800s or early 1900s.
- late 1800s or early 1900s.
1 item (1 leaf) : parchment ; 105 x 145 mm.
- Isaiah (Biblical prophet) -- Art.
Illumination of books and manuscripts -- Specimens.
- Illuminations (paintings)
Reproductions (derivative objects)
Manuscripts, Italian -- 19th century.
Manuscripts, Italian -- 20th century.
- Parchment leaf with two hand-painted illuminated vignettes from the late 19th or early 20th century, possibly by the Italian copyist Ernesto Sprega (1829-1911). The vignette on the recto, in landscape format, shows the prophet Isaiah preaching, and is copied from an illumination near the beginning of the second volume of the Bible of Borso d'Este (Modena, Biblioteca Estense, Ms. lat. 423, fol. 3v). The vignette on the verso, in portrait format, is a floral design based on the illuminated margins of the same leaf of the Bible of Borso d'Este.
- Penn Provenance:
- Purchased by Martin Nachman, possibly from Eugene Thaw, probably in the early 1950s; bequeathed to his daughter-in-law Marian Nachman.
Gift of an anonymous donor, 2019.
- Nachman, Martin, former owner.
Nachman, Marian, former owner.
- Contained In:
- Miscellaneous Manuscripts. Box 24 Folder 12
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|