John C. Winston Company book jacket album, 1947-1955.
1 box (0.2 linear foot)
- Book jackets -- 20th century -- Specimens.
Book cover art -- 20th century -- Specimens.
Publishers and publishing -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- 20th century.
- Manuscripts, American -- 20th century.
- The company was founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by John Clark Winston (1856-1920) in 1884. He began the company by selling bound photograph albums. The John C. Winston Company was incorporated in 1892 and quickly expanded. In 1900 the company purchased the entire printed stock of the Methodist Episcopal Church including Bibles in every language and became known as the Bible printing company. The company expanded their audience by publishing and printing books in many genres. They also published series books from the 1930s through the 1950s such as the Land of the free, Silver Chief, and Winston adventure books series. In 1960 The John C. Winston Company merged and became Holt, Reinhardt and Winston.
- An album comprised of dust jackets of books published by the John C. Winston Company spanning the years from 1947 to 1955. The volume appears to have been created by employee of the company used for reference. The cover is stamped: The John C. Winston Company, Philadelphia, PA. The dust jackets are all illustrated and in color. The book jackets in the album are separated into sections according to genre or series with dividers and typed tabs. Some of the sections in the volume include adult books, adventure books, biography, bridge books, fantasy, land of the free, mystery girls, picture books, religious adult, Silver Chief, and teenager info books. Some sections are empty. Large portions of book jackets are found under the tab adventure books comprising the series of the Winston adventure books. Another tab Land of the free includes several dust jackets. The dividers are like those of a loose-leaf binder.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Ian Brabner Rare Amerciana (Wilmington, Delaware), 2019.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|