Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die : bioethics and the transformation of health care in America / Amy Gutmann and Jonathan D. Moreno.
- First edition.
- New York : Liveright Publishing Corporation, a division of W.W. Norton & Company, 
336 pages ; 25 cm
- Medical ethics -- United States.
Medical care -- United States.
- Medical subjects:
- Ethics, Medical.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- Americans today pay far more for health care while having among the lowest life expectancies and highest infant mortality of any affluent nation. Gutmann and Moreno explain how bioethics came to dominate the national spotlight, leading and responding to a revolution in doctor-patient relations, a burgeoning world of organ transplants, and new reproductive technologies that benefit millions but create a host of legal and ethical challenges. They address head-on the most fundamental challenges in American health care, while exploring the American paradox of wanting to have it all without paying the price. -- adapted from jacket
An incisive examination of bioethics and American healthcare, and their profound effects on American culture over the last 60 years, from two eminent scholars.
- Introduction: A duty to tell
Part I. New Voices :
1. Changing times
2. Bioethics goes public
3. The public's health
Part II. Matters of Life and Death :
4. Uneasy deaths
5. The high price of unfair health care
6. Foraging for ethics
Part III. Moral Science :
7. Human experiments
8. Reproductive technologies
9. Opening cell doors
Epilogue: Transforming minds.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 273-315) and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Miller Fund bookplate.
Kislak Center copy has autograph of both authors on title page with: "To Penn Libraries-We love Penn Libraries!".
- Penn Provenance:
- Gutmann, Amy (autograph)
Moreno, Jonathan D. (autograph)
- Penn Chronology:
- Moreno, Jonathan D., co-author.
Liveright Publishing Corporation, publisher.
W.W. Norton & Company, publisher.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|