The historical roots of political violence : revolutionary terrorism in affluent countries / Ignacio Sánchez-Cuenca.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2019. , ©2019
- Cambridge studies in comparative politics
Cambridge studies in comparative politics
xv, 275 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 24 cm.
- Terrorism -- Developed countries -- History -- 20th century.
Radicalism -- Developed countries -- History -- 20th century.
Political violence -- Developed countries -- History -- 20th century.
Developed countries -- Economic conditions -- 20th century.
POLITICAL SCIENCE / General.
- "Following the protest movements and radicalism of the late sixties, many affluent countries experienced lethal revolutionary terrorism. Groups like the Red Brigades in Italy and the Red Army Faction in Germany provoked political crises in their countries. Other affluent countries, however, did not experience this same kind of violence. This book offers a historical-comparative explanation of this cross-national variation, focusing on the development paths followed by countries during interwar period. The countries that followed a non-liberal path (marked by anarchist terrorism, democratic breakdowns, civil wars, land inequality, non-liberal capitalism, and late industrialization) suffered lethal left-wing terrorism decades later. Terrorism is thus explained as a feature of the political and economic system. The Drawing on several fields, including Comparative Politics, Political Economy, International Relations, and Historical Sociology, this book offers novel hypotheses about the determinants of violent conflict"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: INTRODUCTION; 1. THE ARGUMENT: FROM DEVELOPMENT PATHS IN THE INTERWAR YEARS TO REVOLUTIONARY TERRORISM IN THE 1970s; 2. REVOLUTIONARY TERRORISM AND ITS IDEOLOGICAL ROOTS; 3. THE MAJOR CASES OF REVOLUTIONARY TERRORISM; 4. CONTEMPORARY EFFECTS AND BACKGROUND CONDITIONS; 5. THE LONG-TERM DETERMINANTS OF REVOLUTIONARY TERRORISM; 6. HISTORICAL MECHANISMS: RADICALISM AND REPRESSION; 7. INDIVIDUALISM, MODERNIZATION AND VIOLENCE.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- ebook version :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|