APA handbook of psychopathology [electronic resource] / James N. Butcher, editor-in-chief.
- Other Title:
- Handbook of psychopathology
- Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, 
- APA handbooks in psychology
APA handbooks in psychology series
1 online resource
- Psychology, Pathological -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Mental illness -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Medical subjects:
- Mental Disorders -- pathology.
- "There is much more to understanding psychopathology than a mere description of symptoms can provide. This book provides a comprehensive overview of different aspects of psychopathology in adult populations. It addresses the issues in understanding adult psychopathology. To study psychopathology, or to treat those who suffer from it, some form of nomenclature is needed. The book clarifies the issues and principles of diagnostic classification. It highlights the issues emerging with the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders classification system and its value in research and clinical practice. An important field in the understanding of psychopathology is psychological assessment. The book focuses on assessment strategies and methodologies for obtaining relevant information for evaluation of individuals with mental health problems. It provides an overview of strategies and methods for assessing psychopathology through personality assessment instruments. It also provides a substantial overview of the major and most widely used assessment techniques for understanding psychopathology. The book illustrates the value of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory in providing a perspective on mental health symptoms. It then presents the clinical manifestations and descriptions of mental disorders followed by the treatment considerations and important ethical, legal, and administrative issues. The book provides an overview of how providing psychometric test feedback to a client and incorporating information about the client's psychological assessment can be a key variable in the treatment process. It underscores the importance of the development of a professional ethical identity for all mental health professionals and trainees."--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2018 APA, all rights reserved).
"This book provide readers with a current and comprehensive picture of psychopathology in children and adolescents. It presents a comprehensive picture of the psychological problems and related issues occurring in children and adolescents. The organization of this book is divided into five sections to provide an overview of the several related fields that focus somewhat differently on the issues in abnormal psychology of children and adolescents. The first section describes and details the issues and principles of child development and their importance in understanding psychopathology and its prevention. It includes many pertinent causal factors, including genetic causation, neurological causes, and sociocultural factors. The second section focuses on the procedures and strategies for assessing psychopathology in children and adolescents. It contains articles that address the psychological assessment of symptoms and behavior in children and adolescents with mental disorders. The third section highlights the contemporary research evidence defining child and adolescent disorders. Several diagnostic disorders that are especially prominent in adolescents include: antisocial disorders, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and autism spectrum disorders. The fourth section provides information about the broad topic of treatment of psychological disorders in young people. The final section addresses ethical and legal issues in the management of psychopathology in children and adolescents."--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2018 APA, all rights reserved).
- Volume 1. Psychopathology : understanding, assessing, and treating adult mental disorders.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2018.
Description based on print version record.
- Butcher, James Neal, 1933- editor.
Hooley, Jill M., editor.
Kendall, Philip C., editor.
American Psychological Association, issuing body.
- 9781433828362 (print ed. : set)
1433828367 (print ed. : set)
9781433828348 (print ed. : v. 1)
1433828340 (print ed. : v. 1)
9781433828324 (electronic bk. : v. 1)
1433828324 (electronic bk. : v. 1)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|