Focus: music and religion of Morocco / Christopher Witulski.
- Other Title:
- Music and religion of Morocco
- New York ; London : Routledge, 2019. , ©2019
- Focus on world music
Focus on world music
xiv, 162 pages : illustrations, map, music ; 25 cm.
- Music -- Social aspects -- Morocco.
Music -- Morocco -- Religious aspects.
Music -- Religious aspects.
Music -- Social aspects.
- Focus: Music and Religion of Morocco introduces the region and its history, highlighting how the pressures of religious life, post-colonial economic struggle, and global media come together within Moroccan musical life. Musical practices contextualize and clarify global historical and contemporary movements-many of which remain poorly understood-while articulating the daily realities of the region's populations in ways that rarely show through current news accounts of religious extremism, poverty and inequality, and forced migration. As with other volumes in the series, Focus: Music and Religion of Morocco addresses large, conceptual issues though interwoven case studies, in three parts: Part I - Memories and Medias: Who We Are highlights how issues of religion, colonialism, nationalism, and globalization transcend boundaries through music to create a sense of personal and national identity, whether hundreds of years ago or on today's satellite television stations. Part II - Contesting Mainstreams: Where We're Going explores Morocco's sacred and secular music practices as they relate to the country's diversity and its contemporary politics. Part III - Focusing In: Fun and Faith in Fez highlights Fez's sacred music industry by introducing musicians who navigate musical and religious expectations to appeal to both their own devotional ethnics and their audiences' wants. Links to music examples referenced in the text can be accessed on the eResource site www.routledge.com/9781138094581.
- Part I. Memories and medias: who we are. Andalusian memories ; Global popular music
Part II. Contesting mainstreams: Pop and protest ; Gnawa music and ritual
Part III. Focusing in: faith and fun in Fez. Sufi ritual ; Sufi entertainments ; Malhun as pop, piety, and local pride
Conclusion: Who we are and where we're going.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Witulski, Christopher, author. Focus music and religion of Morocco
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|