Nuclear disarmament : a critical assessment / edited by Bård Nikolas, Vik Steen and Olav Njølstad.
- London ; New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Routledge global security studies
xix, 305 pages ; 25 cm.
- Nuclear disarmament.
- "This volume of essays provides a comprehensive overview of nuclear disarmament and a critical assessment of the way forward. Comprising essays by leading scholars on nuclear disarmament, the book highlights arguments in favour and against a world without nuclear weapons (Global Zero). In doing so, it proposes a new baseline from which an everchanging nuclear arms control and disarmament agenda can be assessed. Numerous paths to nuclear disarmament have been proposed and scrutinized, and with an increasing number of countries signing off on the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, it is vital to ask which path is most the most likely and realistic to succeed. The essays here also address the rapid pace of technological, political and climatic developments, in relation to nuclear disarmament, and how they add to the complexity of the issue. Taking care to unite the different tribes in the debate, this book provides a community of dissent at a time when academic tribalism all too often prevent genuine debates from taking place. This book will be of much interest to students of nuclear proliferation, arms control, security studies and International Relations"-- Provided by publisher.
- Is "old school" nuclear disarmament dead? / Lawrence Freedman
Was nuclear disarmament ever alive? / Charles L. Glaser
Why nuclear disarmament and strategic stability are incompatible / Keir A. Lieber and Daryl G. Press
Nuclear weapons as a wicked problem in a complex world / Patricia M. Lewis
The Nuclear Ban Treaty and humanitarian strategies to eliminate nuclear threats / Rebecca Johnson
Decreeing abolition? The pitfalls of a treaty-based approach for getting to zero / James M. Acton
Nuclear ethics and the Ban Treaty / Brad Roberts
What can the incremental approach to nuclear disarmament deliver? / Angela Kane
Phased approach to nuclear arms control / Alexei Arbatov
Nuclear and climate connections: the history, evolution, and implications / Christine Parthemore
Nuclear disarmament, nuclear energy, and climate change: exploring the linkages / Matthew Bunn
Emerging non-nuclear technology and the future of global nuclear order / Andrew Futter with Benjaim Zala
Dim hope for disarmament and approaching risk of build up / Wu Riqiang
Forecasting nuclear disarmament: can the NPT get us to the finish line? / William C. Potter
Radical departures from the status quo and their impacts on nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament: positive and negative / Philip E. Coyle
How will the nuclear 21st century end? / Bruno Tertrais.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Njølstad, Olav, editor.
Steen, Bård (Nikolas Vik), editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Nuclear disarmament
9780429649356 (ePub ebook)
9780429651991 (PDF ebook)
9780429646713 (Mobipocket ebook)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|