Signs and wonders : the photographs of John Beasley Greene / Corey Keller.
- Other Title:
- Photographs of John Beasley Greene
- Munich, Germany ; London, England ; New York, New York : DelMonico Books-Prestel, 2018.
175 pages : illustrations (black-&-white) ; 30 cm
- Greene, John Beasley, 1832-1856 -- Exhibitions.
Greene, John Beasley, 1832-1856 -- Criticism and interpretation.
Greene, John Beasley, 1832-1856 -- Themes, motives.
Photographers -- France -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
Documentary photography -- France -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
Landscape photography -- France -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
Black-and-white photography -- France -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
France -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.
Egypt -- Antiquities -- Pictorial works.
Egypt -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.
Algeria -- Antiquities -- Pictorial works.
Algeria -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Place of Publication:
- Germany Bavaria Munich.
United Kingdom England London.
United States New York (State) New York.
- "This book features the vintage archaeological photography of John Beasley Greene, one of the first photographers in Egypt and Algeria." --publisher's description, dust jacket.
"Few figures in 19th-century photography remain as elusive and intriguing as John Beasley Greene (1832-1856). Over the course of an exceptionally brief career, he produced a body of photographs that were publicly admired by his peers and continue to capture the imagination of contemporary audiences. Born in France to an American banker and trained in the medium of photography by Gustave Le Gray, he would be among those early practitioners drawn to Egypt hoping to unravel the mysteries inscribed on its ancient monuments. He traveled there twice, between 1853 and 1855, producing straightforward documentation of the hieroglyphic texts and monuments of most interest to archaeologists, as well as some of the most evocative landscape studies ever made in the Middle East. The pictorial economy of these views--all endless sweeps of desert sand and expansive, cloudless skies--is still stunning today. The work he made in Algeria is similarly divided between archaeological investigation and breathtaking visual studies. 'Signs and Wonders' introduces Greene's work to a new audience with 100 prints and a fascinating text by Corey Keller that reconsiders his photographic legacy, situation his work in the context of critical developments in both archaeology and photography." --publisher's description, dust jacket.
- Nothing beside remains : The life and work of John Beasley Greene / Corey Keller.
- "This book is published on the occasion of the exhibition Signs and Wonders: The Photographs of John Beasley Greene organized by Corey Keller for the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Exhibition itinerary: San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, August 31, 2019-January 5, 2020 ; Art Institute of Chicago, February 8-May 31, 2020"--Colophon.
"Signs and Wonders: The Photographs of John Beasley Greene" : August 31, 2019-January 5, 2019, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, California, United States.
"Signs and Wonders: The Photographs of John Beasley Greene" : February 8-May 31, 2020, Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Keller, Corey, author, organizer.
Prestel Verlag, publisher.
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
Art Institute of Chicago.
- Greene, John Beasley, 1832-1856. Photographs. Selections.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|