American intolerance : our dark history of demonizing immigrants / Robert E. Bartholomew and Anja E. Reumschüssel.
- Amherst, New York : Prometheus Books, 2018. , ©2018
270 pages ; 24 cm
- Immigrants -- United States -- Public opinion.
Immigrants -- United States -- Social conditions.
Emigration and immigration -- Public opinion.
Immigrants -- Public opinion.
Immigrants -- Social conditions.
HISTORY / Social History.
PSYCHOLOGY / Social Psychology.
SOCIAL SCIENCE / Emigration & Immigration.
United States -- Emigration and immigration -- Public opinion.
- Local subjects:
- United States.
- "This historical review of the US treatment of immigrants and minority groups documents the suspicion and persecution that often met newcomers and those perceived to be different"-- Provided by publisher.
- From out of the shadows : moral panics and the search for scapegoats
'They're plotting to take over the country!' : the great Catholic scare
'No dogs, no Negros, no Mexicans' : the Southern border menace
'The Mongolian hordes must go!' : the Chinese migration band
'Childlike, barbaric and otherwise inferior' : the fear of Native Americans-foreigners in their own land
'Don't trust the Huns' : the anti-German hysteria of World War I
'Beware the yellow peril' : the Japanese American scare
'The Jews are spying for Hitler!' : the refugee panic of World War II
'Be wary of the wolf in sheep's clothing!' : Muslim refugees-just the latest fear
From Mexicans to Muslims : stepping out of the shadow of fear and facing the enemy within.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reumschüssel, Anja, 1983- author.
- Other format:
- Online version: Bartholomew, Robert E., author. American intolerance
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|