Nottingham Naturalists' Society scrapbooks, 1872-1893.
1 box (0.3 linear foot)
- Nottingham Naturalists' Society -- History -- Sources.
Nottingham (England) -- Societies, etc.
Natural history -- Societies, etc. -- 19th century.
Scrapbooks -- Nottingham -- England -- Societies, etc. -- 19th century -- Specimens.
- Albums (Books)
Clippings (information artifacts)
Manuscripts, English -- 19th century.
- The Nottingham Naturalists' Society was located in Nottingham, England and founded in 1852. According to rules of the society: the object of this Society shall be the cultivation and encouragement of Natural Science and the arts connected therewith ... and in supplying required specimens to the Free Museum. The Society was part of the Midland Union of Natural History Societies. The Nottingham Naturalists' Society held bi-monthly meetings, presented twelve papers per year, and had an annual excursion. The Society also had it's own library with borrowing privileges.
- Comprises two scrapbooks of the Nottingham Naturalists' Society spanning the years from 1872 to 1893. Volume 1 contains printed ephemera of the Society's meetings and events consisting of agendas, announcements, invitation letters, menus, programs, subscription letters, and tickets. Volume 1 contains materials printed for the Society's annual dinners; annual soirees, conversaziones, excursions, prizes for natural history collections, and quarterly microscopic gatherings. A few handwritten items are contained in the Volume 1 including a letter dated 1893. A label on the front cover reads: Society's printed matter. Volume 2 is comprised of newspaper clippings regarding the meetings and events of Nottingham Naturalists' Society. The clippings are arranged chronologically and are chiefly from the Nottingham daily guardian and the Nottingham daily express spanning the years from 1882 to 1891. A stamp on the inside front cover of Volume 2 reads: Nottingham Naturalists' Society. Volumes 1 and 2 are lacking spines and have some loose covers and leaves. Volume 1 is fragile with brittle and detached leaves.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold at auction at Forum Auctions (London, England), July 25, 2019, lot 201.
- Cited as:
- Access to this item is subject to staff review.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|