Iran : a social and political history since the Qajars / Yann Richard ; with the assistance of Willem Floor.
- Standardized Title:
- Iran de 1800 à nos jours. English
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 
xvii, 351 pages ; 23 cm
- Iran -- History.
- "Iran under the Qajars During its long history, Persia witnessed numerous invasions. But each time it took revenge on its assailants, who were generally from Central Asia, by turning them into Iranians through a culture of assimilation. In 1722, the army of the ruler of Qandahar, once again from the East, took Isfahan and brought an end to the ruling Safavid dynasty. Persia thus became a battlefield between dynasties that were unable to permanently establish themselves. This continued until the end of the eighteenth century, when the Qajars were finally able to take power. It is to this period that we now turn in order to understand the difficult relationship between Shiism and politics and how a conventional monarchy was able to give birth to an Islamic republic. It was also at this time that the European empires began to take an interest in Iran and to drag it into the modern world"-- Provided by publisher.
- Iran under the Qajars
Three Shahs, three wars, three reformers (1797-1896)
From revolts to the revolution (1880-1906)
The constitutional revolution: from illusion to reality (1905-08)
The nationalists' bitter victory (1908-12)
Iran in the great war
The end of the Qajars
Reza Khan to Reza Shah: defender of the nation
From Persia to Iran: foreign relations
The democratic awakening (1941-53)
The last reign of an immortal kingdom, Mohammad-Reza Shah
An Islamic republic in Iran.
- "This edition is a revised, expanded and updated translation of L'Iran de 1800 a nos jours, published by Flammarion, 2009 and 2016, and previously published as L'Iran: naissance d'une republique islamique by La Martiniere, 2006."
"The original French version of this book has been translated, adapted and expanded through the friendly help of Willem Floor"--Note on the translation.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Floor, Willem M., translator, contributor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|