Happening / Annie Ernaux ; translated from the French by Tanya Leslie.
- Standardized Title:
- Evénement. English
- First US trade paperback edition.
- New York, NY : Seven Stories Press, 2019.
- World literature in translation
World literature in translation
95 pages ; 21 cm.
- Ernaux, Annie, 1940-
Ernaux, Annie, 1940-
Authors, French -- 20th century -- Biography.
Abortion -- France.
FICTION / Literary.
FICTION / Contemporary Women.
- "In 1963, Annie Ernaux, 23 and unattached, realizes she is pregnant. Shame arises in her like a plague: Understanding that her pregnancy will mark her and her family as social failures, she knows she cannot keep that child. This is the story, written forty years later, of a trauma Ernaux never overcame. In a France where abortion was illegal, she attempted, in vain, to self-administer the abortion with a knitting needle. Fearful and desperate, she finally located an abortionist, and ends up in a hospital emergency ward where she nearly dies. In Happening, Ernaux sifts through her memories and her journal entries dating from those days. Clearly, cleanly, she gleans the meanings of her experience"-- Provided by publisher.
- Leslie, Tanya, translator.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|